[SOLVED] Lenovo Legion Y520 randomly crashing / No BSOD

Brandolk

Commendable
Jan 6, 2020
Hello,

My (2-year-old, WIN10) Lenovo Legion Y520 has been randomly crashing for the past week. It crashes at least once every day. I am not doing anything specific during times of crashes. It crashes with a high pitched noise with no blue screen. I have since cleaned the fans and checked the thermal paste and both seem fine (Link to photos at bottom).

I have run stress tests on CPU, GPU and Memory with OCCT for 5+ minutes and passed all without any errors or crashes.

My temperatures on HWMonitor before crashes and at all times are on average:
  • 50°C for CPU (i5 7300HQ)
  • 50°C for SSD (Samsung MZVLW256HEHP-000L2)
  • 30°C for HDD (Toshiba HDWK105)
  • 45°C for GPU1 (Integrated, 630)
  • 40°C for GPU2 (GTX 1050 2gb)
I have not seen any temperature go above 60°C, apart from when I ran the stress tests.

I also checked the health of my disk with CrystalDiskInfo and found no problems.

I was able to track the time of one of the crashes earlier today and found the following error at the time of the crash in the system event log:

[EventID]: 7023
[MachineName]: Brandolk
[DATA]: System.Byte[]
[INDEX]: 33931
[CATEGORY]: 0
[CATEGORYNumber]: 0
[EntryType]: Error
[Message]: "The Intel(R) Content Protection HECI Service service terminated with the following error: %%2147500053"
[Source]: Service Control Manager
[ReplacementStrings]: System.String[]
[InstanceId]: 3221232495
[TimeGenerated]: 06-01-20 21:11
[TimeWritten]: 06-01-20 21:11

Not sure what it means, wasn't able to find much on google.

Link to images of the heatsink and thermal paste (2 days old):
View: https://imgur.com/a/AZz2Mib

! Notice on the last picture that the edges of the heatsink are a darker color, that is because it was WET?, I have since cleaned the edges and the paper wasn't wet so If it was water/vapor it was a microscopic amount.

It's safe to say that I have pushed this 'gaming' laptop to its limits in the past but these days I don't do intense work on it, so I'm not sure what's causing all of this.
I'm looking forward to everyone's replies!

Solution
Welcome to the forums!

Can you check and see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop? You might want to also check and see if reinstalling your chipset drivers as well as using DDU to uninstall GPU drivers and later reinstalling said GPU drivers with the latest off of Nvidia's support site changes your issue.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums!

Can you check and see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop? You might want to also check and see if reinstalling your chipset drivers as well as using DDU to uninstall GPU drivers and later reinstalling said GPU drivers with the latest off of Nvidia's support site changes your issue.

Solution

Brandolk

Commendable
Jan 6, 2020
Welcome to the forums!

Thank you very much!

After I wrote the post I searched around a bit more and indeed found out that my BIOS was outdated since I did not update it for 2 years.

I updated the BIOS to the latest version (Through the LenovoSupport website) however It crashed during install, not sure if that's supposed to happen, but I checked my BIOS version and now It is up to date. It has been ~10 hours since I did that, so enough time hasn't passed yet to see if I'm still crashing.

Another thing I realized was that I had BITS (Background intelligence transfer service) disabled in my services. I disabled it two years ago along with Superfetch and some other services that are heavy on the CPU to enable 'better gaming', not sure what I was thinking back then. I think BITS is responsible to allow updates for my things?

Either way, I hope this will stop the crashing and I will report back if it does or doesn't.

Thank you again!
-Brandon

Brandolk

Commendable
Jan 6, 2020
It has been two days and no crashes, so Its safe to say that downloading RST drivers and then updating my BIOS was the right call.

This thread can be marked as Solved, I'm not sure if I can do that.