[SOLVED] Lenovo Legion Y520t -- How do I fix slow running ram if it doesn't have XMP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2020
Background

Hello, I have a bit of a weird situation with my system. A while back, a friend gave me a free system since the place he worked was moving locations to another state, the shipping cost would be more expressive than just buying new systems at their new location, so they got to take home the computers the used for digital development. Because of this, I was given a Lenovo Legion Y520t which had a better CPU (Intel 8th i5 8400), than my current running CPU at the time (Ryzen 5 1400). The Lenovo was a prebuilt system, but I wanted to strap the i5 for mine so I swapped motherboards that way I could actually utilize the CPU, even though the motherboard didn't seem very good at all.

XMP/Ram issue

So as of writing this post, I am running whatever motherboard the Y520t comes pre-built with. The issue I am coming across is that the bios for this hardware is barebones and stripped of any useful features such as XMP, which is an issue since I recently notice my Patriot Viper Steel 3400 MHz Ram is running at speed of 2133 MHz.

Question

What I am trying to figure out now is how I can fix this lack in performance without XMP included with the motherboard bios. As far as I am aware there is no means of enabling XMP and I already tried going to Lenovo's support site and installing the latest bios version for this motherboard, but the bios appeared to be the same after the installation. If someone could help me figure out how to fix this issue by either getting XMP somehow or through some alternate method that would be great!

I am currently unemployed due to current situations and am not receiving any government assistance since I am claimed as a dependent by my parents. Spending money on a new motherboard or Ram isn't a valid option for me right now because of college payments I have coming up. So, any information on how to approach this issue would be greatly appreciated and I thank anyone who spends the time to help me figure this out.

- Qozzie

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.