[SOLVED] Lenovo Legion Y540-15 (GTX1660ti or RTX2060 variant) does it support external HDR displays.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Hello, have anyone been able to hook up external HDR display to Lenovo Legion Y540 15" (GTX1660ti variant, i7 specifically) either using the Display Port or HDMI connector and have it work in HDR mode? (https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-hdr-settings-windows-10)
Can't find any information about that anywhere if these laptops support HDR output or not.
Also interested to know if the RTX2060 variant of Legion Y540 is capable of that.

Solution
Okay, so for people wondering the same in future. I got the laptop and it works. Just connected LG Smart TV with HDR over HDMI and its recognized and displayed properly.
Any modern decent-specced laptop will support HDR display. That's why it's not specified: you just have to confirm the laptop has HDMI 2.0 or DP and a supported graphics card - and you're good to go. So yes, HDR mode will definitely work with Legion laptop, either 1660ti or RTX2060

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Any modern decent-specced laptop will support HDR display. That's why it's not specified: you just have to confirm the laptop has HDMI 2.0 or DP and a supported graphics card - and you're good to go. So yes, HDR mode will definitely work with Legion laptop, either 1660ti or RTX2060

Thank you for reply, in that case it seems the answer is yes, this is from laptop's specsheet about video connectivity: USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1 / (with the function of DisplayPort 1.2),HDMI 2.0, Mini DisplayPort 1.4

One more reason why I wanted to make sure of it, is that It's been a long time since i used these hybrid graphics laptops and i was worried about some gimmicks and under the hood limitations (like X function wont work, because video from GPU is still passed through iGPU etc.)

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Okay, so for people wondering the same in future. I got the laptop and it works. Just connected LG Smart TV with HDR over HDMI and its recognized and displayed properly.

Solution