Lenovo Legion y720 SSD upgrade

Doory

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
So I bought the following ssd, installed it but the laptop doesn't wanna recognize it.
Tried anything from bios settings to unplugging the hdd and leaving the ssd alone, nothing.
The ssd might be faulty too, it came in a pretty rough shape.. What should I do?
Return it for the money back( not sure if they're gonna take it back without the original packaging i threw away) or for a new one?
Should it even work? I heard many have got problems with these kind of ssd's.
I got nowhere else to test it either.
https://www.pcgarage.ro/ssd/intel/760p-series-256gb-pci-express-30-x4-m2-2280/

https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-legion-y720/specs/

Solution
Well, if it was in "rough shape", then my tendency would be to agree that it is probably bad. If you bought this used, even more so, but clearly these are hardware that are fairly delicate and can be easily damaged. All it would take is one single trace or solder point to break and that would be that.

Whether new or used, I'd send it back too.
First, go to the product page for your laptop and see if there are any bios updates available for it. If there are, then update the bios and try the drive again. If that does not work or if you already have the latest bios version installed, then search for instructions on how to find the CMOS battery in your unit and with the power unplugged and the main battery removed from the unit, remove the CMOS battery for five minues, then press the power button on the laptop for 30 seconds during those five minutes.

Next, reinstall the CMOS battery. Then reinstall the PCI drive. Then reinstall the main battery and plug the unit back in. Try again to boot and go into the bios.

It's also possible that you will need to make changes to some bios settings for that drive to work and if you are trying to put Windows on it, you will need to do a clean install and that drive might not show up in the bios at all but should be visible once you get to the part of the Windows installation that asks you where you want to install it.

Doory

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

I already have the latest bios version, i'll try again tomorrow. Thanks

Well, if it was in "rough shape", then my tendency would be to agree that it is probably bad. If you bought this used, even more so, but clearly these are hardware that are fairly delicate and can be easily damaged. All it would take is one single trace or solder point to break and that would be that.

Whether new or used, I'd send it back too.

Solution