[SOLVED] Lenovo Legion No POST

Nov 30, 2021
Good evening all,

I think that I am having a No-POST issue on my Legion Laptop. Everytime I hit the power button, the lights on the back of the PC for the main I/O board turn on and stay on and the fans spin for a couple seconds but no other lights come on, this includes the power button and keyboard lights. The screen stays black as well. Here are the steps I have taken to try and identify the problem.
  1. I have removed the battery plugged in my power cord and issue is still there.
  2. Removed both Hard Drives and issue is still there.
  3. Moved the RAM to the other slot (I know, its not the right slot but I wanted to see if anything changed)
I am not really sure where else to go with this. Should I remove the wifi card and other I/O board and see if it boots that way as well. Also, I know this may be a long shot but could it also possibly be the CMOS is just completely borked causing a no start. Any of your help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
When you remove the battery from the laptop and devoid of any power from the wall, press and hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds to drain the power off the laptop. Remove the stick(s) of ram and use an eraser to wipe the gold contacts on the stick(s) clean. Wipe the stick(s) clean of any rubber residue/debris, use a fine bristle brush to clean the slots of the ram, then reconnect to the wall with your adapter. You might want to try another stick of ram to rule out your existing stick as faulty.

If you CMOS battery were to be dead or dying, the board will still boot but show up with a warning message that the time is out of sequence. Chances are that the board on the laptop might need repairing. You will need to break out...

Lutfij

Titan
When you remove the battery from the laptop and devoid of any power from the wall, press and hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds to drain the power off the laptop. Remove the stick(s) of ram and use an eraser to wipe the gold contacts on the stick(s) clean. Wipe the stick(s) clean of any rubber residue/debris, use a fine bristle brush to clean the slots of the ram, then reconnect to the wall with your adapter. You might want to try another stick of ram to rule out your existing stick as faulty.

If you CMOS battery were to be dead or dying, the board will still boot but show up with a warning message that the time is out of sequence. Chances are that the board on the laptop might need repairing. You will need to break out a multimeter as well as a FLIR(thermal imaging) camera and inspect the board for any electrical or thermal damage.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
I found the following on Lenovo's Support website:

"How do I get into the BIOS on a Lenovo Legion laptop?

Hold down the Shift key. The computer will open a bluescreen with the option to continue. Click Troubleshoot --> Advanced options --> UEFI Firmware Settings --> Restart. The BIOS setup utility interface will open"

Does the Shift key work?

Nov 30, 2021
Thank you for the replies. Now that I am thinking about it, RAM could actually be the issue. When this happened on deployment, the day before it started doing this I noticed some stuttering issues. The next day, no start up. But a couple of days later I was able to get it to boot up, log in, and then it shut itself down. So obviously something was in the failing process, and RAM is very likely to be the culprit I think.

TRENDING THREADS