[SOLVED] Lenovo Legion Y740 bright spots

Mechamensh

Reputable
May 30, 2015
Hello, everyone
Let me be brief: I have bought a new Lenovo Y740 for my sister because she needed something powerful for architecture work and photo editing while her husband can play new video games on. I recieved the laptop today and noticed some bright 'cloudy' spots around the edges, I'll post the screen below.
I've tried asking around the internet and people keep saying all models have the same issue but in various spots. Is that true? Should I return it and go for other model or is this a transportation/storage problem with that specific piece? Please help me and thanks in advance

Also if that's a common issue, what's something as powerful and at the same price range? Thank you

6IDES1g.jpg

Reactions: blakehh
Solution
I think I'd try to exchange it for the same model and hope the panel is better. Bad ones do slip through, but a screen on a laptop that pricey shouldn't be that crummy - that's what you'd expect at the $300-500 laptop price range.

My workstation Lenovo P50 has one of the most excellent screens I've had in a laptop.

Mechamensh

Reputable
May 30, 2015
Around the outside of the screen is "light bleed" good sign of poor quality control.

What was the price range?

So it IS a problem with the quality of that model? Damn, I liked the specs a lot
My range is at a ceiling of 2000 dollars, but 2000 is maximum ceiling, I had originally planned max ceiling of around 1700 or 1800, but I can stretch up to 2000

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
2000 is a sizable budget, I recommend taking a look at Sagernotebook. They have been around a LONG time. First laptop I bought from them was a Pentium 3 and even way back then it was a full desktop CPU. They offer a lot more options than most manufacturers (also sold pre-speced on Amazon and other sites) and they are what Alienware USED to be before Dell took the name.

Also offer additional guaranty on screen issues.

Mechamensh

Reputable
May 30, 2015
2000 is a sizable budget, I recommend taking a look at Sagernotebook. They have been around a LONG time. First laptop I bought from them was a Pentium 3 and even way back then it was a full desktop CPU. They offer a lot more options than most manufacturers (also sold pre-speced on Amazon and other sites) and they are what Alienware USED to be before Dell took the name.

Also offer additional guaranty on screen issues.

Any specific model you recommend?

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Not particularly because I don't know your needs/wants and the options are almost endless from mobile processor on integrated graphics to i9-9900k with a 2080 with all sorts of drive options.

Mechamensh

Reputable
May 30, 2015
Not particularly because I don't know your needs/wants and the options are almost endless from mobile processor on integrated graphics to i9-9900k with a 2080 with all sorts of drive options.

My needs rotates around the Legion Y740 specs. Core i7-8750H, 16 GBs of ram and an RTX 2070.
I found the Alienware M17 Gaming Notebook but I am still evaluating

I think I'd try to exchange it for the same model and hope the panel is better. Bad ones do slip through, but a screen on a laptop that pricey shouldn't be that crummy - that's what you'd expect at the $300-500 laptop price range.

My workstation Lenovo P50 has one of the most excellent screens I've had in a laptop.

Solution