Lenovo Passes Dell as the World's No. 2 PC Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I've liked the Dell notebooks I've had and the desktops I service as part of my job, but they seem to have dropped off the face of the planet recently.

applefairyboy

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
A Lenovo generally has a lower retail price tag for another PC manufacturer with the same hardware. Since this seems to a time of economic woes, it wouldn't surprise me if Lenovo starting gaining ground. It's not like a computer is a T-shirt and contains a logo that provides a perception of social status - computers are defined by function right?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
This is why the stock market destroys economies. Selling 90 million PC's is huge, but because it's only a 2.6% increase from last year's 88 million, the greedy share holders are like OMFG I'M OUT THIS MARKET IS BOMBING !

As a result, companies have to cut corners, rip off their customers, fire full time employees, outsource jobs to 3rd world countries, reduce metal thickness, plastic quality & thickness, reduce warranties, false advertising, attacking competition, patent vague ideas, fib their financial reports etc. ANYTHING they can do to show GROWTH because PROFIT isn't enough for the 1%, it has to be INCREASING profit.

Personally if I made a few billion dollars, I'd be quite happy making a few billion dollars the following year. I certainly wouldn't get grumpy if it was only 2.6% higher than last year.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
My next notebook will be either a Lenovo or an Asus. I haven't used either, so if anyone out there has a bad experience with either, i'd appreciate letting me know now.

..... dont remind me about dell....... have a friends laptop ATM that i was fixing for non functional Vista OS and well as soon as i fixed that, the cpu fan died......

garbage lenovo

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Dell is better quality and is cheaper than garbage Lenovo. Lenovo is a Lenono. I refuse to support a Commie Chinese computer company, the Chinese are already doing a good enough job of buying their own computers.

garbage lenovo

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Dell is better quality and is cheaper than garbage Lenovo. Lenovo is a Lenono. I refuse to support a Commie Chinese computer company, the Chinese are already doing a good enough job of buying their own computers.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]garbage lenovo[/nom]Dell is better quality and is cheaper than garbage Lenovo. Lenovo is a Lenono. I refuse to support a Commie Chinese computer company, the Chinese are already doing a good enough job of buying their own computers.[/citation] TROLL ALERT! The last quality Dell system was rolled out in 2005. After that it all went downhill. The XPS laptop division is cluttered with flaws and breakdowns that Dell will not own up to. Lenovo has admitted and owned up to their design mistakes or flaws. Aside from this they charge MUCH more for servicing. For example, my Dell laptop got a damaging virus last year that I at first, could not fix myself. After half an hour on hold I got mediocre support and an asking price of $150 to remove the virus. I hung up, Installed Malwarebytes and removed the malware.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]garbage lenovo[/nom]Dell is better quality and is cheaper than garbage Lenovo. Lenovo is a Lenono. I refuse to support a Commie Chinese computer company, the Chinese are already doing a good enough job of buying their own computers.[/citation]
Yep, you sound like a legitimate and unbiased source and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I love my Lenovo and it's been a terrific little workhorse, and considering dang near everything electronic comes out of the same small area of China, it doesn't really make a difference what company you buy from if you're concerned about "Made in America". I work for an American company that sells components to automotive, computer and pretty much any other company that makes electronic devices/modules and they almost all get shipped to China for conversion and assembly. It doesn't matter who we sell it to, be it Apple, Seagate, AMD, Intel, WD, Dell, GM; most of our sales to those companies end up getting put on a boat and sent overseas to Asia be put into something that's then shipped right back here which is exactly what happens to the materials we sell to the Asian companies like Hitachi, Sony, Samsung, Lenovo, Foxconn, etc. In some cases, the destination is the exact same manufacturing building whether is an American company or a Chinese, Korean or Japanese one. About the only companies that don't really do that tend to be the German and some of the Canadian ones.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Question...as you work you expect to get a raise every year right? For your hard work?...Or would you be satisfied if you got a fixed salary for the next 30 years with no raises? Companies are the same, profit growth is their "raise" and it's an indication that the company is succeeding. If your profit growth stagnates it's usually a precursor to your company dying. Only stupid companies are satisfied by stay at the same level, because if your not growing your shrinking.[/citation]

If my fixed salary was stupid high, sure I'd be happy with that. You make it sound like selling 90 million PC's is like a minimum wage job and you proved my point. It SHOULD be enough for a company to do a steady 50 billion in revenue per year with a decent profit margin. Instead, they spit out the shittiest products in history and cut employee wages to pennies to show "growth". That's the damaging part, a throw-away society where everyone makes minimum wage and shareholders bask in the tropical sun.

I think Lenovo's been doing quite fine after its acquisition of IBM...I'm amazed myself. They've taken the IBM brand and took them up a notch, while boosting recognition of their own brand as well.

G

lenovo has never been a POS unlike Dell_Hell,lenovo laptops are known for their durability and good performance the elite dell series the xps line resulted in an horrendous pos .
Yes even my hp dv 9335nr lasted 2.5 years unlike hte xps m1710 thaa need to be repaired over and over and over till warranty expired........lenovo an thinkpad t series laptops still kicking....

Status
Not open for further replies.