Lenovo Refreshes Yoga Tablet 10 with HD Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Yoga 10 HD was a solid device whose only downsides were mediocre (in terms of resolution) screen and a mediocre Mediatek CPU. Now, a FHD screen and a quad-core Snapdragon? All that at $349? My hatred for Lenovo is slowly fading. This might even be able to run Cyanogenmod (previous one can't, thanks to Mediatek)

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
How hard would it be for MS to make the full version of Windows 8 work with ARM cpu's?
Very very hard. It'd likely be buggy as hell. The architecture is just too different. It's like trying to build a full size mansion - with all the luxuries of one, with match sticks.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Always nice to see improvements but it seems like Lenovo missed the bus. It's pretty easy to spot similar tablets everywhere.
Excuse me? Please point me at another tablet with 9000 mAh battery, integrated kickstand and FHD screen that costs $350!
How hard would it be for MS to make the full version of Windows 8 work with ARM cpu's?
Very very hard. It'd likely be buggy as hell. The architecture is just too different. It's like trying to build a full size mansion - with all the luxuries of one, with match sticks.
It does not have to be buggy. It'll just be a lot of work. In essence, it's impossible, because what we consider "a full version of Windows" is the OS itself plus its ecosystem. Which is by now thousands of thousands of applications made for x86-based Windows. No one is going to be porting them. Why? Instead, MS simply asked Intel to make x86 efficient enough to run on mobile. And they delivered with the new Atom series. As fast as some new Pentiums/Celerons, as energy-efficient as Snapdragons. ARM is already irrelevant, it just doesn't know it.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
the built in stand is ugly, everything else is fine. If only the built-in stand comes as extra/plugable device this would have been perfect. what's the stand for? i cant stand it.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
the built in stand is ugly, everything else is fine. If only the built-in stand comes as extra/plugable device this would have been perfect. what's the stand for? i cant stand it.
I recommend reading the review of the device over at Notebookcheck. It's very sturdy, allows to use the tablet in many ways (put on the table, watch a movie, no additional support needed), hides SIM and SD slot behind it and the round part of the case is that allows for a huge-capacity battery. Sure, it's not for everyone, but it can be kept closed, so it's completely invisible. Alternatively, buy a different tablet. I, for one, don't like Lenovo much, but I commend them for actually making stuff that differentiates the otherwise growing boring tablet market. It won't change my decision about my next tab being Windows based, but this is an interesting product.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
@bebangs
The stand is great for viewing videos and for using the touch screen when placed on a desk using the different settings.

The stand is wrapped around the battery which fits very comfortably in your hand when using the tab in portrait mode for reading eBooks.

The optional keyboard-cover makes this a great tab.

The only thing that kept me from purchasing after a hands on was the very thing that this update addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.