Lenovo Releases 30-inch Professional AH-IPS Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Does it have built-in calibration sensors? No?
Does it automatically calibrate colours to compensate for room variances? No?

Then why does it cost so much again?
The quality of the display itself is impressive, but not $1600 impressive.

Bring on automated colour calibration and built-in sensors and maybe I'll meet them somewhere between $1500-$1700.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Dell and HP both got a 30" at around $1000 without the hood. I can use a cardboard box to make a hood and save $600. I got the Dell U3011 and don't see the need for the hood part. Waiting for the 4K monitors to come down to same price before I get one.

G

When is someone going to make a LED 30 incher? That hood is hideous who would use that? Ive been using my HP 30 incher for 2 years now and never looked back at any less resolution. Once you have one of these you won't go back either.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]When is someone going to make a LED 30 incher? That hood is hideous who would use that? Ive been using my HP 30 incher for 2 years now and never looked back at any less resolution. Once you have one of these you won't go back either.[/citation]

I'm really confused by your first question. This monitor is LED backlit. Graphic designers and video editors at my job use hoods, though they tend to make their own with cardboard.

kensingtron

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]phyco126[/nom]I'm really confused by your first question. This monitor is LED backlit. Graphic designers and video editors at my job use hoods, though they tend to make their own with cardboard.[/citation]

He's talking about . Our designers turn all the lights off and shut the blinds.

Blarg44

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
[citation][nom]patrick hamilton[/nom]They claim much better viewing angles, then tack on a hood.[/citation]
I am 97% sure the hood will be removable. It is appeasing the professional by including it.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Professional IPS panels are designed to be looked at directly from the front, while IPS has a wide view, the color quality begins to drop with even a slight change in angle.

For that price, they need to include something to calibrate the display, along with a few light stands and lights for a proper color temperature lighting for the work environment.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]Dell and HP both got a 30" at around $1000 without the hood. I can use a cardboard box to make a hood and save $600. I got the Dell U3011 and don't see the need for the hood part. Waiting for the 4K monitors to come down to same price before I get one.[/citation]

Word. Then you can make a cardboard hood for your 4K!

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]vaughn2k[/nom]The hood pretty much block the angle views... so much for that![/citation]

I work in the LCD industry. That's not how this works. Viewing angles don't define an instant cutoff point at which monitors suddenly degrade in quality. Rather they define a point at which the display's performance has dropped below acceptable parameters (for example, a point at which the contrast ratio is no longer more than 20:1). That's a shockingly low number, right? The datasheet will define what these parameters are, but of course you end customers don't get to see those usually.

If you have a 175+ degree display, try it. Try looking at it from that angle and telling me it looks even remotely like it does head-on. That number means nothing to you as a consumer. Just another number that sounds good, like dynamic contrast ratios.

So we see the big performance difference at even angles within the quoted viewing angle range. This becomes a problem if the display is large, because it is so large that you can actually see a difference in performance across the surface of the monitor simply because the viewing angle of the edges of the monitor with respect to your eyes are so much different to the portion of the monitor directly in front of you.

To prevent this, you need wide viewing angle panels, so the perceived performance doesn't drop between the middle and edges in normal use... But as we discussed, that results in ridiculous numbers because now the display reaches that threshold at a very wide angle. But that 178 degree number still doesn't actually mean a lot. So you end up with displays quoting wild 175+ angles because someone in marketing thought it sounded good, when in actuality at that angle the performance is terrible for real use and the display probably deteriorates visibly at 150 degrees or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.