Lenovo Says Apple Can't Dominate Tablet Market Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
apple will always be apple, and this hurts them more than any other company in existence, though it hasn't shown that on the ipod,phone,pad side... for some unknown reason.

ipod is a pain in the (do not want sanction again) to manage, and i cant for the life of me figure out how to actually make a backup of it without hacking it, let me drag and drop off not this apple sync thing. when my moms ipod touch got an os upgrade, se lost all her contact info along with songs because the thing wouldn't back up and restore properly. anything else i would have been able to drag and drop and restore manualy but not an apple product.

the iphone had horrible design choices (you aren't holding it right) and they look down on you, patronizing you, instead of out and out admitting it.

and the ipad is the worst of them all, tied to an os that isn't a real os.

all its going to take is for either windows or android to make an os that is compatible with windows, where apps can be use on computer, files are easy to transfer, and real programs, not mobile counter parts, are used, and ios will slowly fade away. because honestly... apple cant evolve without being dragged kicking and screaming - see apple and games for the most recent example. and done bring up iphone or ipad, the market was always there for those, but never correctly exploited till apple as they brought a "cool" factor, instead of geek label that was on such devices before.

Being a Chinese company I think they know their demographics the best. When I visited Beijing this summer I was struck by just how unreachable Apple products are to the general public.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
@ Alidan
Well Said
Can't wait to see how Windows 8 will perform when a true full OS is implemented into a sleek tablet. Apple will literally need to move OS X to their iPad once that happens.

G

Clueless comments so far. iPad and iPhone are already running OS X, what you see is the iOS on top. Windows 8 will likely be the same recycled POS that Windows

G

You assume people want tablets to be pcs. All the pc Windows fan boys are decreeing that the pc is not even midlife yet not end of life and I agree.

Do I want a wicked pc to browse a bit on and play awesome games on and do work with photoshop? You bet I do. And I do. Could I use a touch screen to play actual games with? No, could I use a touch screen for photoshop (let alone a 10.1" monitor)? Hell no.

Could I use my pc lie on the couch or in bed and quickly check emails, browse the net or read a book? nope. Could I take it ouch casually to my parents and show them vacation photos? nah. Could I do all this with a laptop? absolutely, but it is much bulkier and no way near as intuitive. Put a real OS on my ipad and it becomes a lame duck pc with a crappy operating system bogged down by my specs and a touch interface. It will never allow me to play proper games without a keyboard and mouse and will not ever be suitable for my design work and the battery life will be crap.

What I want is a fully featured PC for my serious computing and a light/fun/efficient tablet for casual browsing, checking home emails and looking up imdb when I'm watching a movie on the couch and can't remember what I've seen that actress in before. Put a full operating system on my tablet and you defeat the point. Put a tablet os on my PC and I'll throw it away!

I might sound like a nut but I like a simplified "not real os" on my tablet. And I believe a few people think like me. And man I was gutted missing out on one of those HP touchpads. Wouldn't have to steal my wifes ipad all the time If I had one.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]@ AlidanWell SaidCan't wait to see how Windows 8 will perform when a true full OS is implemented into a sleek tablet. Apple will literally need to move OS X to their iPad once that happens.[/citation]

i honestly doubt that windows 8 will be the os, it will most likely be a service pack update that gets the tablet to work right, because i can see a ton of bugs they wont catch in a testing phase, but will when it the public gets it.

but here is the thing, it may be to windows advantage to come out with a broken os that works out of the gate. if it does things that ipad cant but is meh, apple wont see a need for osx in tablet, and while the 8 is out and getting the test feed back, they can make it magnitudes better, and launch the update, and at that point, apple wouldn't be able to respond fast enough, giving windows a longer chance to dominate.

but in honesty, apple may not even get the hint until its to late. they have a bad habit of sticking to something thats failing and blaming it on people, instead of actually fixing the problem, see the most recent example of the antenna, and an older one of them sticking to a processor that forced people to code a version specifically for them, more so than now. and another when they had to be bailed out.

there is a good chance that they would stick to a separated app and os environment, even if windows starts to over take them because of an integrated environment.

lesz422

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
for the People here saying Apple is crap, i dont think there is ANY chance that i would employ you to run my company ( if i had one)

because with you, it would end up like HP.......

Apple must be doing some right? show me where they are going wrong and i show you a idiot

and i am a MS fanboy:)

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I for once agree with you aladin. Though not on the windows 8 thing. It looks like they are really trying hard to make a modular OS that can be used on everything from phone pc tablet and xbox. so they can make thier unification theory work correctly. Im pretty sure windows 8 is if not the OS the major step in that direction.

G

I personally believe Apple has planted a good solid product in the Tablet market and is already developing version 3. So at this point I think Apple has locked up any potential tablet buyers. I don't think we are talking about a Tablet in every household like a PC. So where Lenovo thinks more buyers will come from is beyond me. I don't see many who bought the first iPad who may be in the market for a replacement choosing anything but a iPad.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Good to see that at least some company (other than MS) has the balls to declare war on apple like this.

Lenovo: May the force be with you! :D

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]No but they will sue anyone who comes close to their over priced I crap pad!!![/citation]
if you compared crap with crap you will see that apple's crap is a better crap

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]I for once agree with you aladin. Though not on the windows 8 thing. It looks like they are really trying hard to make a modular OS that can be used on everything from phone pc tablet and xbox. so they can make thier unification theory work correctly. Im pretty sure windows 8 is if not the OS the major step in that direction.[/citation]

the more i think about it in that contest the less the idea annoys me.

people will buy an xbox for gameing
people will get a smart phone for... cant understand this logic
and people will get a pc for... well... everything.

if you can get a game on the xbox, than when you get a good computer, move it over to windows, and when cellphones get powerful enough, and they will, in years, move it over to that... the future looks relitivly bright.

the key here is if they don't screw you by making you pay for it more than once.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]I personally believe Apple has planted a good solid product in the Tablet market and is already developing version 3. So at this point I think Apple has locked up any potential tablet buyers. I don't think we are talking about a Tablet in every household like a PC. So where Lenovo thinks more buyers will come from is beyond me. I don't see many who bought the first iPad who may be in the market for a replacement choosing anything but a iPad.[/citation]

well, my mom specifically... she despises the fact it doesn't run flash. she wants to do EVERYTHING off the ipad she can do on the laptop, because she hates computers, but she cant give the laptop up because of flash, and how she cant view some things on the ipad, its really the only reason she still uses the laptop.

most of what she does on the ipad will be ported in some way to the windows equivalent, so when that day comes, she has no reason to stick to apple.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]lesz422[/nom]for the People here saying Apple is crap, i dont think there is ANY chance that i would employ you to run my company ( if i had one)because with you, it would end up like HP.......Apple must be doing some right? show me where they are going wrong and i show you a idiotand i am a MS fanboy[/citation]

Their products are decent, the company's policies, tactics, style, CEO and fanbois are crap.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
No, a tablet is not a laptop. Dont even dream of doing everything you can do in a laptop or netbook in a device like an iPad. For one, it is extremely difficult to type in such a device. A tablet is suited for reading and surfing the web. Not for much more.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Stand still doing the same and "suddenly" you become the dinosaur. Extinct!

It is not Apple who needs to fail at certain point in the future for other companies to be in a better dominant position, so I disagree with Lenovo on their "wait and see" argument. Apple wasn't on top of anything 5-6 years ago but at certain point they started working on their own products more than complaining to other companies. Today however it is also about lawyers and court.

Apple is not standing still and could be working on yet another product for desktops. Maybe a stronger version of the A(x) chips for a headless desktop device. iOS is after all a simplified OSX so in a few years Apple devices could be running one integrated OS. And I mean a massive product for consumers and not for hardcore users.

Lenovo and other companies need to create, redefine, invent products that will translate in a better experience for the end consumer user. The products will never be perfect, but is this better job inside a specific company what will make their products and companies relevant in time.

hellswaters

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
It would also help if you compared the same markets. One company including Hong Kong and Taiwan, the other not, well mess the numbers up a lot. Both of those are very big markets, which spend a lot of money on anything which has anything to do with computers.

lesz422

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Their products are decent, the company's policies, tactics, style, CEO and fanbois are crap.[/citation]

i sort of agree with you, but, would you do any different?

would you change tactics that could harm the company? lose £££ or jobs? in a recession?

sometimes things work out the way they do , because there is no other way ( check out HP)

Status
Not open for further replies.