Lenovo Signs Deal That Adds Start Menu to Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Its a shame when a company further down the chain have to fix a mistake made further up, especially since the company further up refused to admit and fix that mistake! Thoo hardly surprising, every other Windows have been garbage since the beginning!

Microsoft needs to stop this kind of thing now. OEM's should not be allowed to screw up Windows 8 like that. There is no reason what so ever for a start menu period. Windows 8 and 8.1 are perfect the way they are.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
well stardock fixed this issue months ago with a program call start8, it add a perfect and fully functional start menu back just like the one in windows 7.... lenovo's answer is just pseudo-fix as it doesnt look and act like the 7 start menu we know and love.

Larry Bob

Honorable
May 26, 2013
While I do appreciate Lenovo's response to customer feedback on W8, this "start menu" should be replaced with Start8 or StartIsBack as both of those would be more familiar to W7 consumers.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
@bryonhowley: May I ask how a third party application that can easily be uninstalled from the machine is "screwing up windows"? If someone has knowledge on how to uninstall something, its very harmless.

michalt

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
They're not looking to put the start menu back in for their customers, they're looking for an additional channel to sell people software. Otherwise they would put in a simpler product like Start8 or StartIsBack. Pokki is an advertising platform that shares revenue with the OEMs. This is just a different kind of bloatware.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Pokki isn't intended to look like the Windows7 start menu. That's what Start8, StartisBack and Start Menu 8 are for. Pokki is intended to reduce the initial bloatware that's installed on the system by recommending software to the user that he/she might actually want/need. It's basically locally installed adware that includes an app store so that OEMs can better monetize their customers while reducing the usual bloat that we're all accustomed to. However, Lenovo isn't the only OEM going this route....though SweetLabs isn't disclosing who the other OEM is.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Wouldn't work to good as they tried this in the 90's with the Netscape browser. They are perfect for tablets and touch screen's but not for the good old keyboard and mouse. PS: Are you sure your not Steve Ballmer or related to him, it kinda sounds like something he would say.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I haven't used windows 8 yet, but now that I think about it, I hardly ever use the start menu on my windows 7. I only use it when I need to access the control panel, admin tools and the shutdown/restart button. if I had shortcuts for those things, I would never need the start menu.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006

Microcenter and Newegg sell all kinds of PCs, any you can think of, without bloatware. You just have to assemble it. :lol:

Seriously, I've built 9 or so computers this year for customers and myself, not one had a single smidge of bloatware on it, and not one will fail due to cutting corners on power supplies or motherboard design (bad caps).

You get so much more for your money, even if you're paying me to build it -- and not an ad in sight.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Woooooow. Yea. I'm sticking with the start pages on Win8/Win8.1. hahaha Sometimes, I feel like the only one who likes it. Well, at least it's about 55% of people listening to the Windows Developer Show podcast don't like the start button.

midnightgun

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Am I the only one who continues reading after liking what Lenovo is doing to "my god, they have turned the Start menu into an ad delivery system"?

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

Obvious troll.

Seems like that isn't a neutral platform. They're developers. They have an interest in the "App Store" part of Windows 8 doing well.

In 8 all you have to do is right click in the lower left hand corner, or on 8.1 the Start Button and everything is there set with admin rights by default.

Its like a cut down start menu with things most people ever go to the start menu for anyways.

Most customers machines I work on are a mess on the desktop because that's what they use. The don't use the start menu as much as others do.

Overall 8/8.1 is fine. This software is extra load on the OS itself and acts as a API which takes over Metro which is still running. Its extra power being used. Sort of annoying.

But whatever it takes for Lenovo to get sales. I personally prefer a clean OS install be it 7 or 8 anyways.

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

I agree! I can do SO much more with the new start screen than i was able to do with the old start menu. I only used the old one to shutdown or search in the limited, useless way that I could.

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

No one does. The sad thing is, they bitch about the removal anyway...

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I do agree that Start8 is a better choice, but i guess Pokki is paying Lenovo to have them preloaded onto their PCs...while Start8 is a paid app with no app store (hence no revenue) and thus Lenovo have to pay Start8 for license instead. Anyway, Pokki isn't all that bad. I used both. You can always ignore their appstore like Windows 8 appstore!

Status
Not open for further replies.