[SOLVED] Lenovo T730 Upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2020
Hi, so I am getting a T730 i9-9900K with RTX 2080 from a friend for a really cheap price ($1k hehe).

My question:
Is the power supply upgradeable? Because I have a used 750W EVGA G3 -> the T730 have 500w (I did research and saw I can change it...)

Can I change the motherboard (into a different one) but still use the 9900k? I am not sure if the prebuilts uses some kind of special sockets where you can only use the mobo it came with. Coz Im planning to transfer the 9900k to a better mobo (after few years of use)

For the RTX 2080, is it ok the change it from a blower style fan into liquid cooling? (For future reference - not this time)

Solution
CPU-Z will tell you the motherboard.
If the motherboard is a Z370 or Z390, there is no need to change it out since it will allow overclocking to get the max potential out of your K suffix processor.
You might need a stronger cooler.

On blower gpu coolers, I really like them.
I use one with a GTX1080ti with no issue.
They get heat out of your case more effectively than a fan type cooler.
Fan types do get heat off of the graphics chip more effectively, but you need a case with better airflow to get rid of the heat.
Normal load operations of the gpu should be around 80C.
500w is just ok for the stock RTX2080.
If you wanted to buy a stronger card or seek maximum cpu overclocks, then a stronger psu might be warranted.
OEMs regularly use custom layouts. You almost certainly won't be able to use the I/O shield that is currently there so make sure it's removable. It's probably a custom size too so you may not be able to use the I/O shield from a new motherboard.

The front panel connectors for all your buttons/lights/audio plugs are regularly a custom. You may lose all connections (not even be able to turn on the computer with the front panel buttons).

You'll need to make sure the I/O area would allow all the ports from the new motherboard.

You'll need to make sure all the current motherboard standoffs will fit the new motherboard.

You'll need to make sure the motherboard can fit in the case. Not just the motherboard itself but the cooling you want to you and all your drive, USB, and other connections.

For power supply, you will have the same fit and screw hole concerns.

If your RTX 2080 is reference design you should be able to put on an aftermarket cooler. Verify this first.

There are probably a few other considerations I haven't named. These are just the ones off the top of my head. Because of the above it's never advisable to put a new aftermarket motherboard into an OEM case.

Apr 23, 2020
OEMs regularly use custom layouts. You almost certainly won't be able to use the I/O shield that is currently there so make sure it's removable. It's probably a custom size too so you may not be able to use the I/O shield from a new motherboard.

The front panel connectors for all your buttons/lights/audio plugs are regularly a custom. You may lose all connections (not even be able to turn on the computer with the front panel buttons).

You'll need to make sure the I/O area would allow all the ports from the new motherboard.

You'll need to make sure all the current motherboard standoffs will fit the new motherboard.

You'll need to make sure the motherboard can fit in the case. Not just the motherboard itself but the cooling you want to you and all your drive, USB, and other connections.

For power supply, you will have the same fit and screw hole concerns.

If your RTX 2080 is reference design you should be able to put on an aftermarket cooler. Verify this first.

There are probably a few other considerations I haven't named. These are just the ones off the top of my head. Because of the above it's never advisable to put a new aftermarket motherboard into an OEM case.

Thanks for the reply. I have an extra case (coz i was planning to build a pc haha)..

Hi, so I am getting a T730 i9-9900K with RTX 2080 from a friend for a really cheap price ($1k hehe).

My question:
Is the power supply upgradeable? Because I have a used 750W EVGA G3 -> the T730 have 500w (I did research and saw I can change it...)

Can I change the motherboard (into a different one) but still use the 9900k? I am not sure if the prebuilts uses some kind of special sockets where you can only use the mobo it came with. Coz Im planning to transfer the 9900k to a better mobo (after few years of use)

For the RTX 2080, is it ok the change it from a blower style fan into liquid cooling? (For future reference - not this time)

For that system you should not need to change anything. If things are running well the best way to start breaking things is to "fix" things that are working fine. That is a dedicated gaming system, not a business system with add-on parts. The motherboard in it is fine, do have a reason why you want a "better" one? What is missing on the on the one it has now that you want to have?

Same thing for the fan for the 2080, is it overheating? If not, leave it be. A 2080 is fast enough to leave at stock speeds, unless you see temps to up too high, let it run as it is.

Power supply swap to a better quality one may be OK to do, but even then the one with that system should be a good quality one.

Reactions: dalteparin101
Apr 23, 2020
For that system you should not need to change anything. If things are running well the best way to start breaking things is to "fix" things that are working fine. That is a dedicated gaming system, not a business system with add-on parts. The motherboard in it is fine, do have a reason why you want a "better" one? What is missing on the on the one it has now that you want to have?

Same thing for the fan for the 2080, is it overheating? If not, leave it be. A 2080 is fast enough to leave at stock speeds, unless you see temps to up too high, let it run as it is.

Power supply swap to a better quality one may be OK to do, but even then the one with that system should be a good quality one.
Thanks for the info. Im not planning to change the mobo at this moment. Im only looking for info incase I change it in the future (like after few years or something happens) ... For the 2080, I just thought of that because I saw posts online regarding gpu with blower cooling and they run really hot... And the Psu is only 500w and I saw in lenovo forum that user have issue with it when they oc.. plus something about prebuilts not having a good quality psu... :D

CPU-Z will tell you the motherboard.
If the motherboard is a Z370 or Z390, there is no need to change it out since it will allow overclocking to get the max potential out of your K suffix processor.
You might need a stronger cooler.

On blower gpu coolers, I really like them.
I use one with a GTX1080ti with no issue.
They get heat out of your case more effectively than a fan type cooler.
Fan types do get heat off of the graphics chip more effectively, but you need a case with better airflow to get rid of the heat.
Normal load operations of the gpu should be around 80C.
500w is just ok for the stock RTX2080.
If you wanted to buy a stronger card or seek maximum cpu overclocks, then a stronger psu might be warranted.

Reactions: dalteparin101
Solution
Thanks for the info. Im not planning to change the mobo at this moment. Im only looking for info incase I change it in the future (like after few years or something happens) ... For the 2080, I just thought of that because I saw posts online regarding gpu with blower cooling and they run really hot... And the Psu is only 500w and I saw in lenovo forum that user have issue with it when they oc.. plus something about prebuilts not having a good quality psu... :D

Before doing things that may be happening or could happen or reports from online posts, you should use the system and see how it runs. That CPU and video card don't need any overclocking to run well, you would just be adding a greater chance of something breaking. The case may fit another fan or two, depending on how many it has in it now. If you find the system running warmer, you can just install another set of fans to it and check it again. Will cost you $30 instead of taking apart a 2080 to fit a new cooler on it which runs you the risk of damaging something on the card.

The lower spec "gaming" computer brands do use low quality power supplies a lot, but Lenovo in this system probably used at least a good one. You can look at it and check, it's likely an OEM brand but built on a solid quality foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.