Question Lenovo ThinkCentre M710t Power Supply Expansion

JoeSchmo12346

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M710t which I use for recording music via a Firewire audio interface. I want to be able to connect my Firewire PCI-e card to my PSU as the card has the option to do so via an LP4 cable. The card itself is a Startech one (PEX1394B3). The issue I have is with the PSU in my machine; it's a very basic unit, slimline type thing, without any extra outputs for potential expansions. Could anyone tell me if the PSU that comes with my machine (a LITEON PA-2182-2) is a common form factor and something I could source an upgrade for, or is it more something designed specifically for this particular computer? Also, would "daisy chaining" either the Mobo power or the CPU fan power to my FW card be an option at all (if such a cable exists)? Cheers.

Lutfij

Titan
The PSU looks like a semi modified TFX unit though yes that unit comes with proprietary connectors and only that which is necessary for connecting to the board, not an additional card with an additional power input. The motherboard then has a breakaway off of which the rest of your storage/SATA drives are powered. I wouldn't advise on reverse engineering the power output cables, if I were you.

If you think your entire platform is disposable, you can get this;
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Ori...Pin-to-2-x-SATA-Power-Sleeved-Cable-40cm.html
then modify the SATA end to accommodate a male molex[1 - LP4 (4 pin; Large Drive Power) ] connector and then use that to plug into your PCIe card.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeSchmo12346

JoeSchmo12346

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
The PSU looks like a semi modified TFX unit though yes that unit comes with proprietary connectors and only that which is necessary for connecting to the board, not an additional card with an additional power input. The motherboard then has a breakaway off of which the rest of your storage/SAT drives are powered. I wouldn't advise on reverse engineering the power output cables, if I were you.

If you think your entire platform is disposable, you can get this;
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Ori...Pin-to-2-x-SATA-Power-Sleeved-Cable-40cm.html
then modify the SATA end to accommodate a male molex[1 - LP4 (4 pin; Large Drive Power) ] connector and then use that to plug into your PCIe card.

Thanks for the info. By 'slightly modified', what are you referring to? Could I swap it out with a similar TFX unit, like this one? The dimensions and screw holes look very similar to the one that's already in it, if not the same. This one in the link appears to have a molex connector too, which would be a bonus. Hopefully I'm right in thinking that an "LP4" connector (as mentioned in the manual for my FW card) is the same as a 4-pin molex? The only issue is that the MB connector is a 24 pin, my board takes a 10 pin, but I think there's a converter cable for that that'll do the job...