[SOLVED] Lenovo thinkcentre m710t upgrades

not_too_noob

Prominent
Apr 23, 2018
Hey guys I just completed high school and bought this pc with my savings and am kinda wondering what upgrades i can make to it.
I use it for gaming and internet browsing but i will be using it for university work once i start uni this sept.

lenovo m710 specs:
i7 7700 (non-k)
8gb ddr4 2400mhz (1 stick)
500gb toshiba hdd
lenovo mobo
180w huntkey psu (10 pin n 4 pin out cables)

thats basically it
I wanna add in a 2tb hdd for now and wanted to know what other upgrades you would recommend
I also want to upgrade the psu but they are really expensive in my country almost 120$ for a 450w and its gonna require an adapter 24 pin to 10 pin due to lenovos mobo issues

Thanks for reading all this and would really appreciate more info from you guys on how to upgrade this

Solution
Power supply upgrade is going to involve just chucking the new power supply in the bottom of the case. Don't think it has standard mounts.

Room for a GPU at least.

Yeah, trying to use the even a light GPU like the 750Ti is going to be pushing it with an i7 on 180W. So I agree, don't look at a significant GPU upgrade until you can update the power supply.

There are OEM boards that take standard power, just have to look for them. Not everyone is like Dell, HP, and Lenovo with their proprietary garbage. Dell and others even make consumer models that are designed to be upgraded, but Kenya would be difficult in terms of shopping.

$60 for 256GB is a little high, but not unreasonable. Cheap SSDs in that size can be had in the US for around...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Getting another stick of ram so you have dual channel memory would be advisable. An SSD.

OEM proprietary power supplies, well, with such a new system, I would make every effort to sell it if possible and start off with a standard motherboard and chassis. It will make your upgrades that much easier. Particularly if this is the small form factor M710.

If you are stuck with it, going to be somewhat expensive to upgrade it. At some point you will probably need a different chassis to host power supplies and graphics cards, if that is what you want to do.

Otherwise, you could probably sneak a low profile GT1030 in there for a decent boost to graphics performance.

Reactions: not_too_noob

not_too_noob

Prominent
Apr 23, 2018
Getting another stick of ram so you have dual channel memory would be advisable. An SSD.

OEM proprietary power supplies, well, with such a new system, I would make every effort to sell it if possible and start off with a standard motherboard and chassis. It will make your upgrades that much easier. Particularly if this is the small form factor M710.

If you are stuck with it, going to be somewhat expensive to upgrade it. At some point you will probably need a different chassis to host power supplies and graphics cards, if that is what you want to do.

Otherwise, you could probably sneak a low profile GT1030 in there for a decent boost to graphics performance.
Since its really expensive to buy the custom motherboards and most arent really available at shops in my country (kenya) i might go the upgrade path starting with an ssd and an extra hdd ill also add an 8gb stick of ram.
I've seen some ssds 256gb for around 50$ i dont know if their worth that price
an 8gb ddr4 stick is 55-65$ i will get that ofc
cant find a gt1030 but a 750 ti used is 120$ so that wud be the same price as an rx 560 on ebay so i might leave that for now as an rx560 requires more power hence i'll do the gpu n psu upgrade together in the future.
Im still not about the ssd , would you recommend it for that price?

these are the sites for buyying stuff here , their prices arent much diff than the local shops.
www.jumia.co.ke and www.jiji.co.ke

Thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Power supply upgrade is going to involve just chucking the new power supply in the bottom of the case. Don't think it has standard mounts.

Room for a GPU at least.

Yeah, trying to use the even a light GPU like the 750Ti is going to be pushing it with an i7 on 180W. So I agree, don't look at a significant GPU upgrade until you can update the power supply.

There are OEM boards that take standard power, just have to look for them. Not everyone is like Dell, HP, and Lenovo with their proprietary garbage. Dell and others even make consumer models that are designed to be upgraded, but Kenya would be difficult in terms of shopping.

$60 for 256GB is a little high, but not unreasonable. Cheap SSDs in that size can be had in the US for around $40. Depends on the model though, some of the faster ones are that expensive.

That memory is over-priced significantly, nearly double. That is nearly the price for a 2x8GB memory kit right now.

Solution

not_too_noob

Prominent
Apr 23, 2018
I could save up and order from US directly but there's a 15$ per kg shipping price so heavy parts like a psu would be around 45$ shipping so an evga 600w semi modular would be around 105$ I guess ill keep saving. Used cosair and evga go for 80-120$ here

I also saw this psu https://jiji.co.ke/nairobi-central/...s=5&pos=5&ads_count=24&ads_per_page=24&page=1 does this look genuine coz idk never used or seen this before

not_too_noob

Prominent
Apr 23, 2018
Also would you recommend getting a used seasonic ss500-et for 60$? From what i know seasonic psu quality is good but thats a used item im not sure if i should take it, I am planning on saving up for a psu , case , 24 to 10 pin adapter and decent 4gb gpu . The seasonic would save me some cash but im not really sure about getting used psu. what do u think?

with an OEM PC's like this it'll be hard to find a PSU for it cause they are not usully standard size. i realize you may not of had much cash to spend on a PC but i hope you realized this is a business class PC meant to be used in an office and has been configured as such so it was not meant to be used as a gaming PC

not_too_noob

Prominent
Apr 23, 2018
I'll have to use this adapter https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Adapt...46913&sprefix=24+pin+to+10+pin,aps,361&sr=8-2 this will allow me to recase the guts in a diff case with 24 pin psu.
gaming pc parts are too expensive here and custom built gaming pcs are old gen and/or overpriced. This pc was going for a really good price thats why I bought it. Recasing could be my best option for now

this way it could go on for some time in the new case and all i"ll have to do is swap the mobo and adapter out n put in a nice gaming mobo but that can wait.

not_too_noob

Prominent
Apr 23, 2018