Question Lenovo Thinkpad - Synaptics Trackpoint stops responding

asiniv

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi,

I have a Lenovo E15 Windows 10 Pro (fully updated) and I use Photoshop and Lightroom extensively.
Personally I don't like the Trackpad so it's disabled and I use only the Trackpoint (and the 3 keys below it).

Occasionally when I use Lightroom the Trackpoint suddenly freezes and stops responding.
I have no idea what is causing it, I can still use the keyboard and even enable the Trackpad, which works.
Though in order to get the Trackpoint to work again I need to restart the laptop.

I'd appreciate any advice on this issue as it's really annoying when it suddenly happens.

Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
Windows 10 Pro (fully updated)
So you're on version 20H2 for the OS?

Check and see if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending. If you're indeed on the latest BIOS for the laptop, uninstall the trackpad/point's drivers from Device Manager, then reboot, then reinstall the drivers for trackpad with the latest version sourced off of Lonovo's support site. When installing, install said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You will also need to make sure your chipset and MEI drivers are in order before you uninstall he trackpad drivers.

asiniv

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi,
Many thanks for your advice.

So I followed your instructions -
I made sure everything is up-to-date and in order (via the Lenovo utility and the webpage Lenovo bridge auto-update),
DDL the drivers via the Lenovo's website machine-specific portal (according to SN).
After that I manually uninstalled the Synaptics from the device manager (under Mice and other...).
Restarted and manually installed the said devices;

The only thing I'm not sure about is that when I try to install the main driver n2ist11w (Synaptics ThinkPad UltraNav Driver...) it says that the best driver is already installed.
The other driver r16te04w (Elan Ultranav Driver...) installs successfully.
I've tried this twice - even when checking delete driver upon un-installation from the device manager.
The uninstall and new install seemed to do the job, as it also removed the Microsoft HID device, and then re-installed it automatically, and the revert back option is now also available.

So as far as I understand, the above process completed in order, and I should just work as usual and make sure it's fine?

Thanks again!