Review Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard II Review: Great for Raspberry Pi, Media Centers

old_rager

Commendable
Jan 8, 2018
Very disappointed in this revised product as I wrote to Lenovo over a year ago requesting them to build a wireless trackpoint keyboard exactly for the very purpose of it being the keyboard for my PC being played through our 65" TV on the wall.

I've been using a Logitech K830 for a couple of years now that has a track pad and I hate track pads. But trackpoints after years of using Lenovo laptops, they are the best keyboard designs ever.

For Lenovo after all this time to create such a beautiful keyboard and omit keyboard backlighting, that is a massive fail - especially for home theatre PC use. When your lights are off, you can't see your keys to type. Like really?!? What were they thinking!!! 🤬😖😤

BTW, this report should update it's 'Verdict' section to include no backlit keyboard as a major negative. Again, a massive fail on the part of Lenovo here. At least the Logitech K830 has back lit keys!!! 😞

Last edited:
Reactions: w_barath

w_barath

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
My Kingdom for a backlit TKL BT wireless keyboard with multiple BT profiles, that takes 4 AAA batteries - 2 for the backlight and 2 for basic operation. Proprietary batteries = pay more for inconvenience and early obsolescence.

Reactions: old_rager

weilin

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
What's most disappointing to me with the first generation and now the second generation is the inability to swap the Fn and Ctrl keys on the keyboard. Lenovo/Thinkpad still insists on the backwards key placement... This goes against all muscle memory of ANY other keyboard!

You can swap the behavior of those two buttons in BIOS on any ThinkPad since.... like forever... Why can't on this external keyboard?

ASK THE COMMUNITY