I have this keyboard, and would like to share some thoughts about it. As it turned out, this keyboard is far from ideal. I found quite a few flaws and disappointments, including the Lenovo website and their technical support.
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard II
• The proprietary software has not been properly tested by Lenovo on older laptops with Windows 7 32-bit. I have two old laptops with this OS and this software refuses to be installed on both of them. But support for Windows 7 32-bit is stated on the Lenovo website for this software.
• The TrackPoint buttons are very poorly implemented. They are flat and hard to grope. The barely noticeable bumps on the middle button do little to help. On ThinkPad laptops (especially older ones) these buttons are designed much more intelligently and feel (grope blindly) much better.
• And, of course, the scourge of ThinkPad keyboards regarding the Fn and Ctrl keys, which in this case is aggravated by the fact that there is no way to programmatically swap these keys, similar to how it is possible on ThinkPad laptops. Why such inconsistency? Or was this keyboard developed by completely different people?
• The keyboard is bent in the middle. I don't write "my keyboard", because this is not only observed in my instance. I've seen other reviews on the same topic. And here is an example of another user's video
that shows this. My keyboard has the same thing.
• This product cannot be found by the serial number on the Lenovo website. This means that there is no possibility to contact Support on the site. This is outrageous.
Lenovo Support in Social media could not give me an answer to my question about how long it takes for this keyboard to automatically go into battery saving mode (Sleep mode). They just don't know it. And there is not a word about this in the User Guide either. But this function is definitely present in this keyboard.
Otherwise I like this keyboard and TrackPoint. Although as a full-fledged work on a Windows computer, I would never use it. But I bought it for my iPad (photo
), for which this keyboard is OK. Also, this keyboard is good as a computer remote control from a sofa, etc. One more photo