Question Lenovo Thinkpad W510 4391-BY7 - problems with ADATA SU750 SSD?

Jul 2, 2021
Hi

I have just upgraded my Lenovo Thinkpad W510 4391-BY7 to SSD, model ADATA SU750 SSD. When I tired to install Windows on it, I got error "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu". I tried to put an OS on the SSD through another computer and boot it, and it didn't work (The computer just rebooted itself). I tried to connect the SSD externally using a SATA to USB adapter, and it booted. I supsect that the SATA port of my computer is not compatible with that SSD. Am I right?

Another two important facts:
  1. When this SSD is connected, the computer start up is very very slow.
  2. Everything worked well with a different SSD drive.

Thank's

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

No, if your previous device on the W510 was SATA, you're good to go with any SATA device/drive. As a prerequisite, did you make sure your laptop's BIOS is up to date? You will also need to remove any other storage drive except the drive you want to install the OS on. As a site note, what OS are you trying to install? Where did you source the installer for the OS? Disable Fast Boot and Secure Boot in BIOS and see if you can make progress.

Jul 2, 2021
Hi, thank you for your response.

The BIOS is up to date. There are no another storage devices connected. I am trying to install Windows 10 64 bit, downloaded from Microsoft. I can't find Secure Boot on the BIOS. (It is a very old computer). Also, I found "quick mode". Is it like "fast boot"? (The second option is "Diagnostics").
Oh, and I forgot to mention:
  1. When this SSD is connected, the computer start up is very very slow.
  2. Everything well greatly with a different SSD drive.
And another thing: I can buy "Hard Drive 2.5″ Caddy for NotBook". Will it help?