Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Laptop Review: Cool Screen, Hot Temps

TrackSmart

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
NotebookCheck recently posted a comparison of the the FHD (1080p) and 4k display versions of this laptop (X1 Extreme). Unsurprisingly, the lower resolution version had considerably longer battery life: 9.5 hrs vs 6.5 hrs. That's approaching a 50% difference in battery life. Ouch. Dell's XPS 15 also takes a big hit in battery life with the 4k model, but at least stays above 8 hours of runtime for light workloads.

NotebookCheck Comparision:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-i5-FHD-GTX-1050-Ti-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.339576.0.html

Oct 27, 2018
A couple comments. I own the X1 Extreme with the 4K display. First, you can charge the laptop via the thunderbolt/usb-c port via power delivery. No, the laptop doesn’t ship with a usb-c power brick but if you use a dock that supports PD, then the laptop will charge. I personally use the CalDigit dock (the thinkpad usb-c dock was absolutely terrible). Second, the laptop doesn’t get that warm in normal office productivity tasks. Now you fire up a game like Rocket League, obviously the heat level and noise level goes up several notches. But it does not get so hot where you can’t touch it ... the Blade 15 I feel gets so hot it is extremely uncomfortable to touch. Anywho I have owned thinkpad a exclusively since the late 90s and I have to say the build quality and experience with this laptop is the best I ever had (600E, x41t, thinkpad yoga, 2nd gen yoga, X1 Carbon).