Lenovo ThinkPad X1 is a MacBook Air Killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I never liked Lenovo because they supplied schools with outdated hardware, that is, until, one day I was offered a whole bunch of E-Coupons from Lenovo for up to 60% off selected models, which we're pretty damn good.

I now hope to make my next laptop a Lenovo.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Lenovos are awesome but "MacBook Air killer" depends on specs and price.
The Sony vaio Z is an awesome MacBook Air killer, but it costs more than 2 grand.

G

I had never really read Tom's a lot, but used to respect them from whatever i heard from my friends. However, labelling it Macbook air killer, without even knowing the complete specs along with price means this is shoddy piece of journalism.
Sorry Tom's, you've disappointed me.

ltbob

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I never liked Lenovo because they supplied schools with outdated hardware, that is, until, one day I was offered a whole bunch of E-Coupons from Lenovo for up to 60% off selected models, which we're pretty damn good.I now hope to make my next laptop a Lenovo.[/citation]
Bribed xD!

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I guess I am the only one to find that Lenovo makes really ugly laptops. =P And yes I know there is more than just looks for laptops. But they still resemble what the laptops looked like back when it was owned by IBM.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]uuadsfk[/nom]I had never really read Tom's a lot, but used to respect them from whatever i heard from my friends. However, labelling it Macbook air killer, without even knowing the complete specs along with price means this is shoddy piece of journalism. Sorry Tom's, you've disappointed me.[/citation] This product is being labeled one because it is designed to compete with the macbook air. I don't see the problem here. That does not make this shoddy journalism. Calm down there. ;)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
MacBook Air killer? That's every other laptop, for Air is useless with its lack of ports and interfaces. It's basically like an overpowered netbook without netbook features :)

I personally don't like Lenovo because 90% of their laptops are outdated crap, but I love the keyboard of the X series. Best quality ever. So let's wait for the specs!

P.S. I really don't get the point of making laptops as thin as possible OR just to "kill" one of Apple's laptops...

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Lenovo, not only are the parts from China, so is the company, no thank you and shame on you IBM for selling the Think-pad franchise to the Reds.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
How can it be a 'killer' if it runs a different OS? For sure, people have an OS preference and this will dominate their decision. I need Windows for various reasons; OS X is simply not an option for me. For many it is the reverse situation or preference. It's a pointless, sensationalist headline.

G

I'm sorry but the "article" (a few paragraphs) sounds like it was written by a teenager. Specs? Price? I'm certainly no Apple worshiper, but how can a product be called a "killer" when no details are given about it other than about the battery?

G

There is no such thing as a "Mac XXXX killer". Apple's prestige comes from their ability to make products that are a fashion statement, which are bought up by people who either would've never amounted to anything if they didn't inherit their money, or else people with low self esteem who think Apple products will make them look cool.

To those ends, it wouldn't matter how much better a non-Apple product was. Besides "thin" is not a useful feature, a Macbook Air, like an iPad, is not a real computer used for real work, it's just an expensive way of crying out for attention.

ptc bernie

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
It's all about the OS! Its NOT about specs. What PC users see as limitations, we Mac users see as freedom from the deficiencies of an inferior OS.
The ironic thing is that the loudest arguments against Mac come from PC users who have never used a Mac. However, it's rare to find a Mac user who hasn't used a PC, so who's word would you take?

truchonic

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
well this one is for windows lovers that always want a slim laptop with a good battery and a good price you know the $$$ is the boss

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
And Windows/Linux are by no way inferior to Mac... 90% of Mac users never wanted to LEARN how to use their Windows computer properly - so they jumped to Mac. Fine - go with your useless 256MB graphics and "innovative" Core i7 (not so innovative now, since it's out for quite a while). And if you like Mac OS so much, get a Hackintosh.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
The ironic thing is that the loudest arguments against Mac come from PC users who have never used a Mac.

Well I own both and I use both almost every day. I will tell you that the Mac hardware and Mac software are inferior to the PC. I would not use the Mac if I didn't have to. I think Mac users have this ego thing so they have to tell everybody how superior they are even though they got duped into buying the overpriced but inferior equipment.

Back to the topic- I've liked the clean styling of the Lenovo machines and I would consider buying one if they had one that met my needs. Previously the ones I would consider did not even have a touchpad. I couldn't function without that.

Thin is not a very important consideration, this particular one needs to be light and have good battery life. We don't know about those factors yet. My $500 Toshiba is thin, light and has good battery life, so it would be a good replacement for the very overpriced Mac, but at least the Mac is "pretty".

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]How can it be a 'killer' if it runs a different OS? For sure, people have an OS preference and this will dominate their decision. I need Windows for various reasons; OS X is simply not an option for me. For many it is the reverse situation or preference. It's a pointless, sensationalist headline.[/citation]

It is a little pointless, some like Macs and some like Windowns based systems. I know a few that have both for different tasks. It's mostly what you like, and no slimline Windows based PC will tear a person away from their Mac or vica versa. Personally I miss my Amiga but no use getting trapped in the past. :)

The only concern I ever have about all of these slimline products is the built in batteries. For the most part I like it when I can replace worn parts. A fresh battery or more memory will add a little life to the product before a complete refresh is necessary. Sometimes, a little bulk is better.

G

WHEN oh When will Lenovo move the stupid blue function key out of the lower left corner of their otherwise wonderful keyboards??? It's the most annoying thing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.