Question Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga G3 Underperforming

Aug 27, 2018
Hi,
I was testing out my new Thinkpad and I downloaded Cinebench R20 to do so.

Whilst I was testing it I opened up HWMonitor to look at temps and speeds and I noticed that is was reaching about 80-83 degrees and it was sitting at 1.9GHz, this is the i5 model, but doesn't it reach a turbo around 3.6?

The only conclusion I could come to was that is was thermal throttling, but are there any ideas? Is this normal performance for this laptop?

Help would be appreciated.

Aug 27, 2018
Ok it is definitely thermal throttling as shown from the videos since it is very close to its base clock on load and is reaching around 80-85 degrees.

Does this mean that the laptop is unable to cool the cpu? Or is something else going wrong here?

The fan doesn't seem to be that fast either, before they would randomly ramp up to what sounded and seemed like 100% but a bios update fixed this issue. And before the bios update I was getting similar results as well.

Is there something that could resolve this problem for me?

Aug 27, 2018
Not exactly, the problem was the same after a bios update, that was meant to fix the issue, but it is still a present issue. Should I try going back to the original bios update?