Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Ultrabook First Look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a decent all around ultra book/2-n-1. Not something I'd want to use for any kind of work or gaming however. Which makes it a ~$2000 machine that is really only decent at browsing the internet...

ZaxanRazor

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Toms, can you please stop your writers from talking about keyboards when they have absolutely no clue about them?

Quote:

The chiclet keyboard provides a satisfying tactile feedback not unlike what you would experience in a membrane or Cherry MX Brown switch

A membrane board does not give tactile feedback. A membrane board and one with MX Browns are in no way comparable, aside from they're both used to type on.

Added to that, a scissor switch also feels nothing like either of those switch types.

This is the fourth article I can think of, including some absolutely woefully researched mechanical keyboard reviews, where one of your writers has absolutely exposed themselves as being clueless about keyboards and yet have attempted to act like an expert.

You need to be better than this.

PandaButtonFTW

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
damn lenovo makes ugly laptops, they have a good reputation for build quality in the past, but i hear that is going down the drain now with all this thin and light stuff... plus, that screen resolution, that price, and only a HD 520 to drive it? did whoever designed this have too much drugs and communism when they came up with this laptop?

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
As someone who have used this laptop I must say they took a step forward. They finally went back to the good trackpad with separated click buttons and not the horrid trackpad (X240, T440, X1 Carbon 2nd gen) that tried to emulate the macbooks.

The fingerprint sensor is now like mobile phones where you just tap to gain access instead of swiping your finger.

As for the review the speakers on a laptop.............come on. Its not like you are going to sit there and watch a Bluray on the laptop and not connect headphones, wired or wireless.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
damn lenovo makes ugly laptops, they have a good reputation for build quality in the past, but i hear that is going down the drain now with all this thin and light stuff... plus, that screen resolution, that price, and only a HD 520 to drive it? did whoever designed this have too much drugs and communism when they came up with this laptop?
OK, for private use, this might not be a good fit, but for a professional use with real world users, this kind of product perfectly makes sense and the pricing seems correct.
There are for sure cheaper, more beautiful and lighter devices out there, but this one is robust, has a sober/neutral look, and can be had with affordable 5y onsite next business day warranty extensions unlike many "light" consumer devices. For business users, a predictable total cost of ownership, productivity and reliability matter more than the wow factor and low acquisition prices.

randymg2

Commendable
May 27, 2016
I actually really like the Thinkpad look, I own a T42 that's still working fine dual booting XP and Mint 17.2, and a T420 running Win 7. That said, I'm done with 16x9. I'm going to wait and see if Lenovo delivers on the retro Thinkpad next year. If not, it looks like I'll be forced to buy a Surface, Microsoft seems to be the only ones to get a clue on aspect ratio.

Oh, and yeah, those photos are awesome, worst I've seen on a review in ... a decode?

randymg2

Commendable
May 27, 2016
I actually really like the Thinkpad look, I own a T42 that's still working fine dual booting XP and Mint 17.2, and a T420 running Win 7. That said, I'm done with 16x9. I'm going to wait and see if Lenovo delivers on the retro Thinkpad next year. If not, it looks like I'll be forced to buy a Surface, Microsoft seems to be the only ones to get a clue on aspect ratio.

Oh, and yeah, those photos are awesome, worst I've seen on a review in ... a decode?

Status
Not open for further replies.