[SOLVED] Lenovo Thinkpad x131e 0271 RTC Error can’t access BIOS settings

Dec 19, 2019
My thinkpad wont boot, it only says realtime clock error, but f1 and esc do nothing so i cant get into bios settings. Changed and reset cmos battery many times, to no success.

Solution
Sadly not.
Windows 10 Home Professional 64 bit, don’t know, can’t check
sadly that did nothing as well
The solution is doing a full shutdown, normal shutdown won't let you interrupt the start cycle when powering up but when you do a full shutdown, the next power up will give you a prompt to use the enter key to interrupt the start up and enter the BIOS. I'm looking for method of doing the full shutdown, it's simple but I can't remember.

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Im sorry but i have to ask
Are you sure you got a new CR 3032 baterry?
Cause there are types of battery that look exact the same and it's not.
And this error is usually cmos battery related.

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Ok,
Does keyboard have any lights on?
Do you have another keyboard to try via usb?
Do you hear any weird beeps?

You can also try to remove power cable, and battery, then hold power button for at least 30 seconds, then put battery back in, power and try keyboard again.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019
Ok,
Does keyboard have any lights on?
Do you have another keyboard to try via usb?
Do you hear any weird beeps?

You can also try to remove power cable, and battery, then hold power button for at least 30 seconds, then put battery back in, power and try keyboard again.
Being a laptop, and an old one at that, the keyboard has no lights so no
i tried another keyboard but had no success
only one beep when the error is displayed

sadly power draining like you said has done nothing

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Well, it might be that Usb legacy isn't enabled but that should reset to default once you took cmos battery out, or you may not have usb legacy support at all
Things to try:
Im assuming you dont have any ps 2 port ? Or maybe an adapter ?

You can also try to leave laptop battery out and disconect any other external devices you have, run only on power and try again both laptop and usb keyboard.

Also it that beep your usual beep ? If not you should check manufacturer beep codes
Or try here:
https://thinkwiki.de/Error_Codes

Do you have cmos jumper ?

Can you flash bios?

Also important, were you doing any hardware/ software changes before this happened?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019
Well, it might be that Usb legacy isn't enabled but that should reset to default once you took cmos battery out, or you may not have usb legacy support at all
Things to try:
Im assuming you dont have any ps 2 port ? Or maybe an adapter ?

You can also try to leave laptop battery out and disconect any other external devices you have, run only on power and try again both laptop and usb keyboard.

Also it that beep your usual beep ? If not you should check manufacturer beep codes
Or try here:
https://thinkwiki.de/Error_Codes

Do you have cmos jumper ?

Can you flash bios?

Also important, were you doing any hardware/ software changes before this happened?
No PS2 Port or adapter

Sadly even with no battery in and usb keyboard, it still gets stuck on the error screen

Usual beep unfortunately...

Do cmos jumpers work on laptops?

Sadly older lenovo laptops dont seem to be made with a flash button so i cant...

Dec 19, 2019
No PS2 Port or adapter

Sadly even with no battery in and usb keyboard, it still gets stuck on the error screen

Usual beep unfortunately...

Do cmos jumpers work on laptops?

Sadly older lenovo laptops dont seem to be made with a flash button so i cant...
Oh and i was doing no hardware or software changes before it started acting up

Dec 19, 2019
Can you borrow somehow an adapter?
What windows do you have? Do you have fast boot on windows?
Can you try to remove your hard drive and try without it to acces bios?
Sadly not.

Jun 28, 2020
Sadly not.
The solution is doing a full shutdown, normal shutdown won't let you interrupt the start cycle when powering up but when you do a full shutdown, the next power up will give you a prompt to use the enter key to interrupt the start up and enter the BIOS. I'm looking for method of doing the full shutdown, it's simple but I can't remember.

Solution
Jun 28, 2020
My thinkpad wont boot, it only says realtime clock error, but f1 and esc do nothing so i cant get into bios settings. Changed and reset cmos battery many times, to no success.
difference between a normal shut down and a "full shutdown" (holding the shift key as you shut down?
Do this on your next shutdown, you can enter the bios on the next power up once you've followed that step