Question Lenovo Thinkstation S10 and Q6600

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I have an old Lenovo S10 Thinkstation that has an e6550 CPU. I have an old Q6600 that was an extra as part of a case I purchased, but never used. I plan to do the bsel tape mod to the Q6600 to spice it up for older gaming.

I have already put in the Q6600 using Noctua thermal paste I had on hand and tried to find some info on BIOS for this specific Mobo, but not a lot of info to be found. I did find a site that shows the Q6600 being benchmarked with the BIOS version 2WKT39AUS which is what mine is currently.

I realize I may need to upgrade the stock heatsink/cooler in the future, but for now I just want to see if it will work. It's been a little while since I've done this so want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Specs:
Lenovo S10 (MT-M 6483-AF3.
650 watt stock PSU
8gb ddr3 8500E ram
Windows 10 64 bit
HD 6450 1gb.. I plan to install my GT 1030 if this all works out. Unfortunately it is the ddr4 version.☹

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are asking, if you are asking if the CPU will work in that board, yes it should, As for the bsel mod, sometimes that's a hit or miss, I had 1 Q6600 that seemed to love it, but another Q6600 in that same board didn't like it at all.

But it's a free performance with a piece of tape, it's just annoying how small you have to cut it and light it up just right without covering up the pads next to it. I find a razor blade and maybe a needle to sorta grab the tap and gently place it on the pad that needs to be covered.

Good Luck!

Reactions: silversmithy

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Thanks so much for the help. I did get the electrical tape on the proper pin and booted up.
Either I did something wrong, or I have the finicky Q6600 CPU. When I initially boot it and go to BIOS, and go to system summary 1st line shows Q6600 2.4ghz. the next line down shows CPU speed 3.0ghz. Further down it shows fsb as 1066.
I loaded CPU-Z and it shows CPU speed1994.xx GHz with a 6 multiplier and fluctuates to 23xx.xx with a multiplier of 7. Further down it does show fsb of 133x.xx.
Please let me know what you think. System seemed stable, but does not look like I really made the 3ghz.

Thank you.