Lenovo U41-70 Motherboard no power/response. Component level troubleshooting help required

Nov 7, 2018
Hi,

I've been a technican for many years but I can only troubleshoot to the major parts, and I know nuts about component-level such as capacitors, resistors, ic chips, soldering etc.

My own laptop's motherboard failed - no power no response at all. AC adaper is working fine.

I just bought a multimeter and checked the piece of AC charger port cable that's connected to the motherboard.

After connecting the AC adapter and turning on the power, I measured 20V on the following combinations:

PIN 1 & 4
PIN 1 & 5
PIN 2 & 4
PIN 2 & 5

I assume PIN 1 and 2 are + while PIN 4 and 5 are ground. This cable is OK.

I connect the cable to the motherboard and measure the connectors to the motherboard. As pointed out by the red and orange arrows, I am NOT ABLE to get 20V. When measuring PIN 1 or PIN 2 with ground, I am only able get a reading of 0.x to 1.0 V.

What is the issue?

Additionally, I notice one IC that seems to have "burst". "7401" and "GA5T1A" are printed on the chip but I tried many search engines and parts/components database, I just can't find anything relevant.

This burst chip is very small and very near to the power connector on the motherboard. If you refer to the second photo, you can find reference of the burst chip relative to the power collector by looking at the location of "PJ511K" chip on both photos.

In the second photo, you can also see how small is the burst chip relative to my thumb.

Any help will be appreciated!!!!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ghostiee : "Lenovo U41-70 motherboard component-level troubleshooting help required"