News Lenovo Ups ThinkPads With Latest AMD, Intel Chips for MWC

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
If I need performance for something on my laptop, I just log into my Shadow Cloud PC with my laptop.

All my laptop workload and gaming is now done in the cloud on Shadow, so all I need to care about is battery life.

Last edited:

cyrusfox

Distinguished
If I need some crazy performance for something, I just log into my Shadow Cloud PC with my laptop. All my laptop workload and gaming is now done in the cloud on Shadow
It sounds good, but I don't understand. You require a good connection and latency to realize that power use. I am stuck in wanting everything accessible locally offline and I have a hard time understanding a use case where you need to be mobile and yet you still have a good low latency internet connection. If I have a good connection, I am usually always plugged in, and when I am truly on battery doing work, I need all assets locally to acomplish almost anything. I like the idea of a virtualized work environment but I don't comprehend how to make it work for me personally.

_deXter_

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Happy to see a Zen 4 version of the Z13 being announced - we need more AMD powered ultraportables!

I have the Gen1 Z13 with a Zen 3+ CPU and it looks great - no more boring boxy black plastic, its all brushed aluminum - think MacBook meets ThinkPad. I run Fedora Linux on it and everything worked out of the box, including WiFi, standby, all the Fn keys etc. It's also one of the few ultraportables which can be purchased with 32GB DDR5 RAM (which is handy for running VMs and containers). I can even update the BIOS and firmware via fwupd, so there's no need to boot into Windows. Gaming on it is also pretty decent thanks to the RDNA2 graphics. Also, I get an all day battery life on Fedora (when I'm not gaming). I finally found the perfect Linux laptop and I'm so happy.

Gescom

Reputable
Jun 4, 2019
I have the Gen1 Z13 with a Zen 3+ CPU and it looks great - no more boring boxy black plastic, its all brushed aluminum - think MacBook meets ThinkPad.

Also, T14/T14s series, black, Carbon Fiber, Magnesium/Aluminium, these have been non plastic since forever:)