Lenovo Vista laptop vs. my Xp SP3 desktop

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hi.

I've had my Lenovo laptop for a couple years and it has Vista 32-bit on it. I think it runs pretty good, but I'm not a gamer so I don't know about that. I realize it's a "budget" laptop because I paid $500 bucks for it, but it's good for what I do with it.

It has a T3400 Dual core Pentium "inside" at 2.16 Ghz and 3 gigs RAM. In laptop computer world is this considered a "good" computer, a "piece of junk" or what? Like I said, for me it runs good and I'd like to add something .... I think it runs BETTER than my current desktop which has XP on it.

So I guess my final question would be, which one of these computers SHOULD run better?

laptop:
Vista 32-bit
Pentium Dual CoreT3400 CPU
internal graphics
3 gigs RAM

Desktop:
XP SP3
Pentium D 2.66 Ghz
2 gigs RAM
NVIDIA 9600 GT 512 MB vid card

I'm guessing the laptop, but I thought desktops should run faster.

P.S. Here's my new system that I'm building this week or next:
It should SMOKE both of those (I'd guess)

Windows 7 64-bit
ASUS P8P67 (vanilla) main board
Intel i5 2500k CPU
8 gigs DDR 3 RAM
500gb HDD (main drive)
500 watt PSU (Antec)
NVIDIA 9600 GT 512mb vid card (from xp system) (for now)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your laptop is indeed a "faster" system than your old desktop, by many measures. The desktop's video performance is likely higher, but the laptop has a faster, stronger processor and more memory.

Good luck with the new rig, looks like it will be quite capable. Good luck!

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Heck, I've been using the desktop on the internet 99% of the time in the last 4 years, imagine how much more stuff I could've accomplished if I had been using my laptop! :lol:

I only use the laptop when I go somewhere.

Is Vista faster than Xp, or is it the CPU that's faster? T3400 vs. Pentium D

I know the laptop has 1 more gig of RAM too. I still CANNOT play 1080p vids from Youtube smoothly on my XP desktop, but they play as smooth as butter on my laptop.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

Its the CPU thats the desktop's bottleneck, and thus, why your Lenovo operates faster. Pentium D is far worse than the T3400. Vista handles memory better (by hogging it all at the same time), but actually tests have shown XP to run faster overall over Vista in many circumstances.

I have a 9600 GT right now with the E7500 Core 2 Duo, and it blazes for what I need it to do. Runs Starcraft II on best settings, and Crysis on high settings. Keep the card, its very similar to the 9800 GT out now, and performs decent (unless you plan on gaming something insane like Bulletstorm). For your needs, the i5 is overkill. Get an i3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078&cm_re=i3_processor-_-19-115-078-_-Product

And perhaps utilize that savings to invest in a better hard drive speedwise, either getting a solid state or I think the solid state hybrids by momentus are nice. You'll need a 3.5" bracket though for it. Heck you got $100 difference there though, better to get the full solid state and still keep the hard drive you chose.

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

My 9600 GT is old; from a few years ago. It's a 512mb DDR2 (I Believe). Not sure if it's the same type you've got.

Problem (Well not a problem to me) is is that I already ordered all my parts from Newegg and they're in route as we speak. So I'm gonna stick with the i5. Yes, I may get a solid state for my main drive in the future. I also plan on adding a 1 or 2 TB drive for storage, but I've got so many external drives as it is ... to keep all my junk :lol:

:)

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

Oh ok no worries still a good purchase. Its the SAME graphics card, I too bought it at around 2008 time, when it retailed for roughly $110. I don't think it has DDR2, I think GDDR3 made by PNY. Its a good little booger ;-)