Lenovo Y50 Will this SSD fit in my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
Hello buddies,
This is my first time actually upgrading a PC and i have never built a PC before so I am really new to this

I was thinking about replacing my Laptop's hard drive for an SSD

I own a Lenovo y50-70
- It currently has a 1TB hard drive inside ( I dont know from what brand or anything like that )

I want a 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO
- Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive

I would really appreciate help from you guys :)

Solution
If you are planning on replacing the HDD with the SSD, open the case and take out the HDD. Measure to see if it is a 7mm or 9mm (thick). The 850 EVO is a 7mm drive. If your current HDD is a 9mm drive, check to see if the caddy it goes into allows for the thinner drive. Most do. And most 7mm SSDs will come with a spacer to use if the laptop demands 9mm only.
It would be highly unusual if the 850 EVO did not fit.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you are planning on replacing the HDD with the SSD, open the case and take out the HDD. Measure to see if it is a 7mm or 9mm (thick). The 850 EVO is a 7mm drive. If your current HDD is a 9mm drive, check to see if the caddy it goes into allows for the thinner drive. Most do. And most 7mm SSDs will come with a spacer to use if the laptop demands 9mm only.
It would be highly unusual if the 850 EVO did not fit.

Solution

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016

Thank you very much! sounds very clear!

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016

I opened up my laptop and measured my hard drive
its a 7mm WD Slim

so since the 850 EVO is also a 7mm drive i wont have any issues putting it in right? ( thats after cloning the drives )

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That is correct. I assume the HDD is also a 2.5" drive like the Samsung 850 EVO.

Status
Not open for further replies.