Lenovo Y510p - Windows 10 freezes for ~5 minutes at a time

Taibo

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
I've been having some strange issues with my laptop recently, haven't downloaded anything or installed anything new. But every once in a while (maybe a few times a month), I will experience a weird freeze like this:

- Everything on the internet stops loading
- Few seconds later, whatever program I'm using stops responding
- Few seconds later, the whole Start Menu stops responding, along with all other apps

My mouse can move fine and Task Manager sees no huge jump in CPU usage, but I'll be frozen like that for 5-6 minutes, and then suddenly everything will catch up and resume like normal. It's driving me crazy, but it's so sporadic that I can't replicate it to show other people. How can I diagnose what is going on?

I am on a Lenovo laptop Y510P, running 64-bit Windows 10 Home (upgraded from Windows 8.1). Laptop is about 2 years old at this point, and other than this I've had no problems with it - it has an Intel core i7 and 16 gigs of RAM.

Solution
Thats the reason why, if your hdd is being used a lot then windows can slow down dramatically. I would see which programs are using the hdd and move them to the ssd or get rid of the entirely.

Taibo

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016

Hmm, my RAM usage is okay, but my HDD usage is at 50%, I guess one of my HDD's is at 100%? But none of the processes are using that much, it's all like 0.1mb/s...