Lenovo Y530 144Hz GTX 1060 i7 8750h 8 GB RAMPerformance Issues

Feb 6, 2019
Hello,

I recently got a new Lenovo Legion Y530 144Hz, with i7 8750h processor, GTX 1060 6GB video card, 512GB SSD and 8GB of RAM.

I'm writing here after 5 days of:

-changing settings (selecting the prefered video card that the system should use, program dedicated video card that should be used, max the fan power)

-playing games on both the factory version of BIOS and the latest update from lenovo's site

-undervolting

-overclocking

-changing thermal pastes

-CHANGING THE ENTIRE LAPTOP AT MY RETAILER

The main issue is that i have medium, not to say low performance in games, comapring myself with other laptops with the exactly configuration that i have at the moment. Games of reference are GS GO (90-105fps); League of Legends(90-140 fps); Civilization VI(100 fps). Any settings i'm trying to play on i get the EXACT same fps; the same on very low, the same on ultra. I can't understand why is that happening. Maybe i'm missing something very little from the equation.

I also have to add that in benchmarks i get the same scores, temperatures and performances as other people with my configuration.

Please help me!

Thanks

Pardon the rhetoric, but is there actually a problem with this? 100-ish FPS is respectable, especially if running games on high or ultra settings.

Uninstall GeForce Experience if you have it. You can monitor CPU and GPU utilization with third party software and try updating both video drivers, also (Intel and NVidia).

Feb 6, 2019
It is a problem considering the 144hz display and the fact that every other laptop with this configuration on the market is getting at least 200 fps with ultra settings in the game mentioned

Again, try uninstalling GeForce Experience and play around with the drivers. The only other thing I can think of is firmware over-regulating things (i.e. power limits, throttling, etc.), which there isn't much you can do about (Lenovo would have to adjust that and release a patch).

Feb 6, 2019

Just uninstalled the Nvidia Geforce, nothing changed.

I also changed the settings in nvidia control pannel so that it would work on best performance mode...again no change in fps (100 ish fps on very low, very low resolution and 100 fps is on 1080p ultra settings)

Feb 6, 2019
i changed the paste on my first laptop ( the one that i brought back to my retailer after i saw no change in behaviour) .

i'm 90% sure the issue is not with my hardware.

don't forget, my problem is that i get medium fps in games, compared to what this rig should deliver and the fact that i get the same fps on every level of quality i choose...that's my main issue.

Feb 6, 2019

There is no solution that comes to your mind on how to solve this issue? All my drivers are up to date..

The same problem persists on 2 different identical laptops.

Two different laptops, a repaste, different BIOS', different drivers, games, GeForce Experience removed, etc... I think you've just about covered your bases.

If it is indeed firmware regulating things this way, there's really not much you can do. I would contact Lenovo support about it, but it sounds like they designed the laptop to run this way, as odd as that might sound. At best, you might be able to reduce the thermal throttling by repasting (again) the replacement laptop.

Sorry I can't be of more help. If you contact Lenovo, I'd be interested in what they have to say.