Question Lenovo Y540 display BSoD

essbeemorton

Honorable
Dec 27, 2014
Was playing a game today when I got a "video TDR failure" BSoD. Rebooted and relaunched the game and promptly got another BSoD. On the next reboot, my display would not show. I signed into the laptop on another computer with Chrome Remote Desktop to verify that it was booting and I just couldn't see the display. Windows settings showed it was launching in 800x600 (instead of 1080p) and at 1hz. Device manager showed a code 43 error on the RTX 2060 it has, indicating it's now disabled. My CPU does not have onboard graphics, which explains why the laptop is black screened. GeForce Experience did not see any drivers installed on the card, and while installing drivers manually or with GeForce Experience appeared to work, GeForce Experience continued to show an update pending for the same version I just installed (471.11).

I cannot boot into safe mode as I can only access the computer when it has an internet connection over Chrome Remote Desktop. I tried DDU in normal mode, but it did not help. MSi Afterburner does not even read the card. I don't know if I'm screwed or there's something I can do at this point.

Rebooting always shows the flashing underscore cursor in the top left corner of the screen, but black screens before the Windows logo appears.

Last edited:

essbeemorton

Honorable
Dec 27, 2014
I got it to boot properly by disconnecting the battery and holding the power button for a minute and then restarting. However, once I was in and trying to reinstall the latest drivers, it crashed with no warning and rebooted with a black screen again.

essbeemorton

Honorable
Dec 27, 2014
Found a setting in the BIOS to enable "switchable" graphics so I can use my i7's iGPU. Unfortunately, I'm getting artifacts just sitting at the desktop and sometimes the screen turns off as if to protect itself. Tapping the power button a couple times usually gets it to turn back on. The RTX still won't enable properly even with DDU in safe mode. Any thoughts? I really don't want to have to trash a $2k computer after less than 2 years.