Aug 6, 2019
I recently bought a lenovo Y540 with a Nvidia RTX 2060 and Intel i7 9750H. I'm a real fan of the performance but for some reason the laptop is having some issues with its temperature sensors? For example, when I launch a game such as PUBG or Apex, according to Core Temp my cpu hits around 95 degrees Celsius. I read somewhere that Lenovo laptops are "closed systems" (?) and that it would be hard to get correct values from sensors. So I was wondering if it really is just the cpu hitting 95 degrees or just a faulty sensor? I have no problems whatsoever in terms of performance and can keep my hand on the fan outlet without being burned, which is why I was unsure about the CPU really being 95 degrees. I've also tried using speedfan but after an initial 30-40 degrees while idle the program starting showing -42 degrees Celsius. Any information on Lenovo's systems (where they show real values with programs like Core temp) or how I possibly could fix such an issue would be highly appreciated.

Btw, due to concerns about harming my CPU, I turned down the graphics quality of the games I played to ensure that nothing wrong happened. The 95 degree values I got were from PUBG and Apex at the lowest possible settings, however like I said putting my hands on the fans definitely does not feel like 95 degrees.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 6, 2019
The fans seem to be working properly. After checking out some settings i saw that my CPU was running at 4.2 Ghz, however it is rated @ 2.6Ghz. So I think the manufacturer overclocked it beforehand which is why its overheating so much. Is it possible to revert these changes? I looked around BIOS but there was no tab on CPU frequency of voltage.

Aug 6, 2019
Hey, recently bought a lenovo y540, the cpu ,i7 9750H, is rated 2.6 Ghz however task manager shows it to be running at 4.2 Ghz. It seems to be generating a lot of heat, is it possible for me to reset the cpu back to 2.6 Ghz?

bignastyid

Titan
Hey, recently bought a lenovo y540, the cpu ,i7 9750H, is rated 2.6 Ghz however task manager shows it to be running at 4.2 Ghz. It seems to be generating a lot of heat, is it possible for me to reset the cpu back to 2.6 Ghz?
That cpu can boost to upto 4.5Ghz.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i7-processors/i7-9750h.html
You might be able to disable turbo boost in the bios, but OEM bioses are usually fairly locked down so it may not be an option.

That cpu can boost to upto 4.5Ghz.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i7-processors/i7-9750h.html
You might be able to disable turbo boost in the bios, but OEM bioses are usually fairly locked down so it may not be an option.

The base clock is 2.6ghz. It is gonna boost higher, this is why you are seeing 4.2. If you lower the frequency, you will lose performance. But it should not be pegged out to 4.2 when you are just browsing. Check your power settings. Go to settings, system, power&sleep, additional power settings, and you can select balanced or power saver.

You can also change the frequency yourself through the bios or an application. I dont know that bios, so I cant walk you through that, but you can download Intel XTU and manually set the clockspeed to 2.6.

Aug 6, 2019
Hi, so changing the power settings did drop the cpu to around 2 Ghz while on the desktop, so thanks for that. Im assuming that while gaming despite what settings are set to the CPU will return to 4.2 Ghz and generate the same heat, right? I also looked into Intel XTU and I'm not sure if my CPU is compatible as it was not on the list.

Hi, so changing the power settings did drop the cpu to around 2 Ghz while on the desktop, so thanks for that. Im assuming that while gaming despite what settings are set to the CPU will return to 4.2 Ghz and generate the same heat, right? I also looked into Intel XTU and I'm not sure if my CPU is compatible as it was not on the list.

You can undervolt that CPU with Intel XTU. I am not sure what you were looking at on the compatibility list. But XTU supports every modern, unlocked Intel CPU that I am aware of.

This is the issue with gaming laptops. They get very hot. I have an Acer Helios and undervolt my CPU because it gets hot. It is just the issue with the small form factor. They are very powerful machines in a small box and they have nowhere to send the heat they generate.