Question Lenovo Y540 - Random CPU Temp Spikes after Undervolting

Feb 25, 2020
Specs:
I7-9750H
RTX 2060
16GB RAM

So I have a Lenovo Y540 that I've owned for about 6-7months. It's been working pretty well, and recently, I decided to do some undervolting to help with the high CPU temps. I followed a guide on reddit for Lenovo Y540/Y740, and undervolted my CPU to -145mV. It has helped the CPU temps, as a good amount of the time, it will stay around 70-80C while gaming. However, after doing the undervolt, I've noticed with MSI afterburner and Throttlestop that my CPU will have random spikes to like 94-98C somewhat frequently, even while idling (watching Youtube or browsing). I should also mention that I did a BIOS flashback as the guide stated that it also helps with lowering temps.

So what should I do?

Link to guide: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLaptops/comments/cdsp2m/lenovo_y540_i7_9750h_gtx_1660ti_ultimate/

Feb 25, 2020
Well, I was hoping someone would at least give a somewhat helpful response, but I guess not.

So I decided to tackle the problem on my own, and long story short, after looking at Intel XTU, I noticed that the CPU was running at Max Frequency (with Turbo Boost) - 4.2GHz even while idling. Further investigation revealed that in ThrottleStop, I had Turbo mode basically stuck on in the settings at all times, and after doing some experimenting and changing some settings, I found out that this was the culprit to the CPU spikes.

(My) Solution: What I did was basically create 3 profiles for Throttlestop. 1 is for "Idle" - with Turbo Boost disabled and no Speedshift. 2 is for "Gaming" - when I launch a game, =Turbo Boost is enabled and Speedshift is set to 50 (you can change it around if you want). 3 is for "Battery" - where Turbo Boost is disabled and Speedshift is set to 128 (50% EPP). All profiles have the CPU undervolted to -145Mhz.

I'll leave this post up for anyone whom it may concern to. Hope this helps.

What usually solves these issues is changing the thermal paste between GPU and CPU chips and heatsink (transfers heat from gpu/cpu and motherboard to heatsink)
Thing is this voids warranty and i usually do this only to laptops which have no warranty left.

One thing which reduces temperatures really well instead of lowering clock speeds is laptop cooling pads. I had couple of these and it really lowers temperatures by alot, best one i tested is kootek laptop cooling pad. This one is been under heavy use for past 2 years with no problems and its really cheap too. Here are some reviews for different cooling pads : https://bestreviewgurus.com/best-laptop-cooling-pads/

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Specs:
I7-9750H
RTX 2060
16GB RAM

So I have a Lenovo Y540 that I've owned for about 6-7months. It's been working pretty well, and recently, I decided to do some undervolting to help with the high CPU temps. I followed a guide on reddit for Lenovo Y540/Y740, and undervolted my CPU to -145mV. It has helped the CPU temps, as a good amount of the time, it will stay around 70-80C while gaming. However, after doing the undervolt, I've noticed with MSI afterburner and Throttlestop that my CPU will have random spikes to like 94-98C somewhat frequently, even while idling (watching Youtube or browsing). I should also mention that I did a BIOS flashback as the guide stated that it also helps with lowering temps.

So what should I do?

Link to guide: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLaptops/comments/cdsp2m/lenovo_y540_i7_9750h_gtx_1660ti_ultimate/
XTU RULES, WHY SWITCH??

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Specs:
I7-9750H
RTX 2060
16GB RAM

So what should I do?

Thanks for the info. its appreciated.