Mar 15, 2020
Hi,
I recently got a y700 laptop and all was going well until i decided to wack an ssd in it, how the bios on it was locked set up in a to not allow usb's to be boot from, which i needed to install windows on the new drive.
So i pulled the back off, cleared the cmos but unplugging the battery and then the cmos battery. This is whats started my problem, after i plugged everything back in the laptop turns the fans and keyboard on for about 2 seconds, then turns off for 5 seconds, then repeats indeinfitely.
It does not even make it to bios nor does th screen turn on/external display.
Things I've tried:
Using Lenovo reset button
Running without hdd
Running without hdd and battery
Running the above and without ram/1 stick
Running with no ram hdd battery or cmos battery
Same result everytime

Is there anything else i can try or is my bios chip dead?

Hi,
I recently got a y700 laptop and all was going well until i decided to wack an ssd in it, how the bios on it was locked set up in a to not allow usb's to be boot from, which i needed to install windows on the new drive.
So i pulled the back off, cleared the cmos but unplugging the battery and then the cmos battery. This is whats started my problem, after i plugged everything back in the laptop turns the fans and keyboard on for about 2 seconds, then turns off for 5 seconds, then repeats indeinfitely.
It does not even make it to bios nor does th screen turn on/external display.
Things I've tried:
Using Lenovo reset button
Running without hdd
Running without hdd and battery
Running the above and without ram/1 stick
Running with no ram hdd battery or cmos battery
Same result everytime

Is there anything else i can try or is my bios chip dead?

Sounds like there is a motherboard issue

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran