Jul 27, 2020
I bought a Lenovo y720 cube about 1 year go and it's been acting up. Frequent framedrops and stutters. And ofc low FPS.

RAM: Samsung 8gb (1x8GB) DDR4, 2394 MHz

MOTHERBOARD: Lenovo 36D5, Kaby Lake, Sourthbridge H170.

CPU: i5-7400, Kaby Lake, 3ghz, Socket 1151 LG

I've read that my CPU is bottlenecking my PC and that I need to upgrade it. But here's the problem. Intel i7-7700 is a perfect match but they aren't sold anymore. And now I don't know what to do. Is there a cpu I can upgrade to or do I need to change the motherboard?

Solution
The highest processor that the chipset(and socket) will accept is the 7th gen of processors from Intel's camp. You could find them on Ebay but given how things are now or were before, prices of out of stock and necessary parts are often hyper(not over, but hyper)marked. You will need to change the board if you can't find a 7th Gen processor around.

Also, you will likely be open to the option for a Z series platform(with an overclockable processor and aftermarket cooling) and higher spec'd rams so that would be a plus on all fronts, then again, this is a prebuilt, you could just build something from the ground up and sell the prebuilt to recuperate the investments made.

Lutfij

Titan
The highest processor that the chipset(and socket) will accept is the 7th gen of processors from Intel's camp. You could find them on Ebay but given how things are now or were before, prices of out of stock and necessary parts are often hyper(not over, but hyper)marked. You will need to change the board if you can't find a 7th Gen processor around.

Also, you will likely be open to the option for a Z series platform(with an overclockable processor and aftermarket cooling) and higher spec'd rams so that would be a plus on all fronts, then again, this is a prebuilt, you could just build something from the ground up and sell the prebuilt to recuperate the investments made.

Reactions: CSMico
Solution
I bought a Lenovo y720 cube about 1 year go and it's been acting up. Frequent framedrops and stutters. And ofc low FPS.

RAM: Samsung 8gb (1x8GB) DDR4, 2394 MHz

MOTHERBOARD: Lenovo 36D5, Kaby Lake, Sourthbridge H170.

CPU: i5-7400, Kaby Lake, 3ghz, Socket 1151 LG

I've read that my CPU is bottlenecking my PC and that I need to upgrade it. But here's the problem. Intel i7-7700 is a perfect match but they aren't sold anymore. And now I don't know what to do. Is there a cpu I can upgrade to or do I need to change the motherboard?

How did you figure out the CPU is the issue? For most games that CPU is fine to use. Is your CPU usage near 100% wile the video card is way less?