Lenovo Yoga 13 PCI E WLAN

fadi_tan

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
Whether the lenovo yoga 13 is compatible with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 using the unused pci-e slot

I have the lenovo yoga 13 inch (i7-3537U%, 8GB RAM ) 2013 US edition.
I bought Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (pci-e) and installed it in the unused pci-e slot at the top right of the board.
However, the board is not recognizing the card. In the following review :

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ideapad-yoga-13-review,review-32707-4.html

under Wifi the writer states:
"Fortunately, that second full-height mini-PCIe/mSATA combo bay should accept compatible WLAN cards if the port is not already spoken for with a secondary mSATA SSD module or a WWAN card. We can confirm that the existing antenna leads will cleanly reach the second PCIe/mSATA bay with no issues."

So is the intel 7260 ac card compatible with yoga 13 ?? if yes, how can I get it to work ??

fadi_tan

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
7260ac.png

I have connected the antennas and installed the drivers at
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3714&DwnldID=23625&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Dual+Band+Wireless-AC+7260&DownloadType=Software+Applications&lang=eng
Still the computer doesnt seem to detect the card ; But i didnt disconnect the old wlan card.
It seems that the pcie slot might only be compatible with msata.

randomhkkid

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
It looks like that intel 7260 might not be compatible. According to the linked article We should also note Lenovo’s decision to utilize the internally-interfaced USB 2.0 Realtek RTL8723A combo WLAN/WPAN module card on the Yoga 13 system board. Unfortunately, there is no half-height mini-PCIe slot present to support other WLAN hardware choices. Compatibility options are further limited since the BIOS contains a whitelist that restricts the end user from seeking a third-party solution. , try and see if you can find a list of compatible wifi cards in the BIOS.

rpgfightin4ever

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
strange_switch.png

I have the same idea about installing wifi adapter into pcie slot on my yoga. However it's already second time I see that pcie-wifi card doesnt work there. I also looked over the datasheets for msata/pcie standard, and it could be that slots in yoga are only msata compatible. BUT there is a chance, that there exist some switch somewhere on motherboard for one of the slots, which turns on pci-e mode. I am afraid to disassembe mine yoga, so I've never searched for that switch. It would be great if you can search for it!
strange_switch.png

Nagash91

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Hi, I have yoga 13 too and I have bad wifi..
I would love to install another wireless card and I found a switch near the first SSD if I'm not wrong.

No one know this switch???
I wonder if is the switch for recognise wireless card, maybe for the default slot not the other one!
Maybe moving the ssd to the other slot and the wireless card to the primary slot could works!?

I have an old broken macbook (2007) with a mini-pcie wireless card.
I don't know if would be compatible with yoga because you know apple... but I could try!

Another thing very important: ANTENNA IS BAD LOCATED.

If I raise my yoga from the table I get GREAT IMPROVEMENT in some cases!

Antenna are located under your wrists while you are writing with the keyboard, it is a really stupid position.

I would love to locate the antenna in the screen! Near to the windows key there is some space for 1 or 2 antennas..

I'll lett you know if interested..