Question Lenovo Yoga 520, Screen replacement, finding parts

Apr 14, 2020
I have a Lenovo, Yoga 520-14IKB (Type 80X8, 80YM) Laptop (ideapad) - Type 80X8, with a cracked screen, I would like to replace the screen but unsure of which model to replace it with and if i need one with or without the digitizer.

More info If needed...
The glass of the screen is cracked, the only issue seems to be that it now no longer works as a touch screen. Other than that, the display seems to be working fine, it will still switch to tablet mode and functions fine as a regular laptp display, it just won't recognise touch.

I would like to replace the screen, though there seems be an endless number of sites selling what looks like essentially the same product, at a verity of prices, some with a digitizer, some with a frame and digitizer, and some seem to just be selling the LCD display.

In short, Do I need a new digitizer for the touch screen to be functional again? And what screen should I be looking for?

Thanks for the help

May 29, 2020
I Toby639. I have the same issue as you and, after doing my research I have found that it is very difficult to separate the digitizer from the LCD display, as they are glued together. I found strange that there aren't any instructions to replace just the digitizer in the hardware manual, and I believe it is because of that.

I haven't found any resources for our model, but if this video is of any indication, I think we have to get the whole assembly. Sure, this is for a different model, but I think it is safe to assume that it works the same. It seems we would need a special machine to warm the glue and be able to separate them, but then, we would have to reglue it.

I am not by any means, an expert fixer. I'm just a guy with a limited technical knowledge and skills who feels comfortable with doing his own repairs. So, please, do not take my word for it.

Cheers!

P.D.: you can know exactly which part number to look for when buying the replacement by looking in Lenovo's own hardware manual in the support website.