Dapro_

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
Hello, the Lenovo support for some reason can't give any technical information and directed me to a third-party repair shop to get this information but to me that is very weird

So I am here to get the information instead.

The Lenovo Yoga 720 that I have has integrated graphics that it uses when browsing the web and stuff and a GTX 1050 it activates when needed. My screen started getting covered in randomly coloured and randomly spaced vertical lines that I know is a graphics card hardware issue, it eventually clears and I can see the screen again but now there are horizontal transparent lines that are evenly spaced by like 0.5mm across the entire screen, they are barely noticeable but I still want it fixed.

I have tried uninstalling each in the device manager and testing each one individually but it does not fix the problem, I think when I restart it just defaults back to the integrated graphics, I have tried updating all the drivers and that didn't work either.

So I am accepting that it is a hardware defection and would like to know what graphics cards are compatible with the Lenovo Yoga 720.. is it only the GTX 1050? Once I do get another graphics card is it as easy as taking apart the laptop and un-inserting the old and re-inserting the new GPU?

Thanks for the help

Solution

This is the motherboard of the model you have and it looks like the video card is soldered onto the motherboard (https://www.newegg.com/p/1JW-000K-00C26 ) This means that is can not be replaced, not easily anyway. It looks like if it is the video card you are out of luck unless you want to pay 400 dollars for a whole new motherboard. That is pretty much your only option unless you are good at soldering IC chips to a motherboard.

This is the motherboard of the model you have and it looks like the video card is soldered onto the motherboard (https://www.newegg.com/p/1JW-000K-00C26 ) This means that is can not be replaced, not easily anyway. It looks like if it is the video card you are out of luck unless you want to pay 400 dollars for a whole new motherboard. That is pretty much your only option unless you are good at soldering IC chips to a motherboard.

Solution