Question Lenovo Yoga 910 issues - - - boot device not detected except after reconnecting the SSD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2022
Hi,
I am having a problem with a Lenovo Yoga 910 which I had for a long time, while every few restarts I was used to get the "Default boot device missing or boot failed". I was sure its a bad sdd or corrupt windows, but I could use it more or less... however it got worse, so I just bought a new samsung 970 evo plus SSD (500GB), and installed a new windows 10 on it.

I have tried to install windows both in MBR and GPT (currently the drive has GPT windows 10 installed).
I have tried many different BIOS settings, from time to time it works but nothing last and the error returns.

-I tried to remove the main battery for 30 minutes, I tried to disassemble the motherboard, since I read I can try to reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery which sometime helps, however I didn't find any additional small battery behind the motherboard. so either this laptop doesn't have one or its somewhere else... (not really sure).

-In any case the only thing, I found that always seems to work, is removing the SSD and simply connect it again. After that everything loads, the SSD is detected properly, windows starts and works well, samsung magician says everything is healty, I tried different diagnostics from lenovo, but wasn't able to find any issue... obviously its not a solution as this is internal disk... I wonder if there is anything I can try or if the fact that it is detected after reconnecting it can provide any clue to what is wrong ? is this a problem with the motherboard, or perhaps it means that there is some kind of BIOS settings i didn't try yet...

Any thoughts would be very appreciated.
thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I tried to remove the main battery for 30 minutes, I tried to disassemble the motherboard, since I read I can try to reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery which sometime helps, however I didn't find any additional small battery behind the motherboard. so either this laptop doesn't have one or its somewhere else... (not really sure).
it doesn't have one
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/617069/Where+is+the+cmos+battery

Do you have the latest BIOS?
unlucky if its the drive again, have you run Magician on it to check its health?

If you installed windows on one device while another device was present, then a boot loader will be placed on the second device, making it required to be present to boot.

Since you want a clean new windows install, the simple thing to do is to disconnect the second device and do a clean install.
You can reconnect the second device later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS