Question Lenovo Yoga i7 Battery / Power Issue

pbcsd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Having an issue with my son's 2 year old Lenovo Yoga i7 Idea model.

He used it Wednesday night, then Thursday morning it would not power on.

I tried various things to no avail and so took the laptop bottom case off to remove the battery from its connector, held the power button for 30 seconds to discharge, then plugged the AC adapter in with the batter disconnected and it started up.

I then powered down, connected the batter again, and once again, the laptop would not start up with or without AC cord connected.

So I did the same thing to restart it, and this time, reconnected the batter while it was operating. The system recognized the battery and said it was 96% charged. but as soon as I disconnect the AC, it powers off as if there is no battery.

Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the battery windows driver to no avail.

Next up .... an after market new battery. This time the unit would power on without having to disconnect the battery. Great. However, the battery just stays at 0% and won't charge. Not great.

Went through the same battery driver uninstall/reinstall, reinstalled Lenovo power management, updated the bios and firmware, you name it, nada. Tried the older battery again, nada. Another AC adapter. Nada.

Any other ideas or do I have a C$1000 "can only be used when plugged in" brick on my hands?

Last edited:
1) Not all aftermarket batteries are created equal. Is the one you purchased specced exactly like the old one? Same wattage, etc.? You might have gotten a dud. How long did you plug it in and let it try to charge WITHOUT trying to power it on?

2) 2 years is not bad out of a battery especially if its a everyday use laptop. That's what sounds like is the root cause since you could get power with the battery removed and using AC only.