[SOLVED] lenovo Yoga overheating issue and how should I properly clean it?

zoobooboozoo

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Hi all,

I'm heaving some Performance/Heating issues with my Lenovo Yoga 720-15IKB Laptop (ideapad) - Type 80x7 and wanted to know if it's normal and if I can do something to improve the situation.

I use it mainly to record/produce/edit music which can be quite tasking and I can get these type of temperatures after sometime working on it:

What can I do about it?
Some suggest to use compressed air to clean the vents from the outside but others I see online say it might harm one part or the other. should I? are there other solutions one can try?

I believe the overheating causes loss of performance..

Thanks in advance,
Have a good one.

Solution
any other things to try?

Opening up the laptop and giving it a good clean will do a more thorough job but it's inherently riskier so I recommend you only do it as a plan B. Carefully remove visible debris manually then gently hold down the fan to prevent it from spinning then use compressed air to expel the remaining fluff and dust.

Whichever method you decide upon, make sure you don't shake the compressed air can and keep it upright at all times to prevent spraying propellant into the laptop.

To remove the base of your Lenovo you'll need a Torx T4 screwdriver.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Those temperatures are on the high side, so if it hasn't always been like that, then the overheating may be caused by a build-up of dust and fluff.

I've been using compressed air for decades without problem, and HP recommends its use too, so you'll almost certainly be fine with it.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
any other things to try?

Opening up the laptop and giving it a good clean will do a more thorough job but it's inherently riskier so I recommend you only do it as a plan B. Carefully remove visible debris manually then gently hold down the fan to prevent it from spinning then use compressed air to expel the remaining fluff and dust.

Whichever method you decide upon, make sure you don't shake the compressed air can and keep it upright at all times to prevent spraying propellant into the laptop.

To remove the base of your Lenovo you'll need a Torx T4 screwdriver.

Solution