News Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Tested: Ryzen 7 4800U Slams Intel (But You Can’t Buy It)

Aug 29, 2020
Given it was the poster-child for AMD's 4000U series, this model has been delayed, understandably if frustratingly so. I also saw it on sale in the Netherlands, but Lenovo don't do international shipping. In Australia, no one knew when it was coming or in what configuration until a local retailer started stocking the top of the line model, so I pounced. When I quizzed Lenovo about it, they still didn't know anything about it. A few days later, the 4500U / 8GB model showed up on the website. It is hard to find indeed.

That said, it's bonkers fast, but I would like the screen to get a little brighter.

sharkpoonstock

Prominent
Aug 4, 2019
I have an Lenovo Yoga tab 3 & don't have the password made when it was new, to log in one have to send it in to their repair shop, I wouldnt use a product from Lameovo even if it was free.

Apr 1, 2020
Well the 4700U is actually a little faster than the 4800U, as it has a 200mhz higher base clock and only 100mhz slower max boost clock, so the only thing you're missing out on is extra GPU core, which isn't going to make or break playability in anything, so the 4700U makes a lot of sense, like choosing a 3700X over the 3800X in a desktop, much less expensive, negligible loss in performance.

Disclosure: I have the Lenovo Slim 7, and I do love it, something I never thought I'd say about an AMD laptop, having previously owned 3 with disappointing performance and battery life.

AeroWB

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Another option that is close to this model is the new Thinkpad T14, which you can get with a Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U. Its very close to the normal 4800U and the Thinkpad T14 is a great laptop.
I have this laptop as my new work laptop for about one month now and so far its great. I have not tried the Slim 7 version so I don't know the specific differences

AnarchoPrimitiv

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Well the 4700U is actually a little faster than the 4800U, as it has a 200mhz higher base clock and only 100mhz slower max boost clock, so the only thing you're missing out on is extra GPU core, which isn't going to make or break playability in anything, so the 4700U makes a lot of sense, like choosing a 3700X over the 3800X in a desktop, much less expensive, negligible loss in performance.

Disclosure: I have the Lenovo Slim 7, and I do love it, something I never thought I'd say about an AMD laptop, having previously owned 3 with disappointing performance and battery life.

Are you completely forgetting about the fact that the 4800U has 16 threads while the 4700U only has 8 threads? I'd certainly rather have the extra 8 threads than 200Mhz higher clocks.

Reactions: enewmen

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Is this an US only site? Written by people in US and for the audience in US only? If not, then it would be nice to have a topic such as

(But You Can’t Buy It In the US) or
(But You Can’t Buy It In Most Countries)

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Is this an US only site? Written by people in US and for the audience in US only? If not, then it would be nice to have a topic such as

(But You Can’t Buy It In the US) or
(But You Can’t Buy It In Most Countries)
I can't buy this in Singapore and wasn't able to find it ANY place at ANY price. So a topic (But You Can’t Buy It) PERIOD seems appropriate. Singapore is near Taiwan and we usually have early access to good notebooks, motherboards, video cards, etc.

There's one thing that wasn't tested on this laptop... GAMES!
I have a brand new IdeaPad Flex 14" with 16 Gb of 3200MHz DDR4 and a Ryzen 4500U, and I tried running a couple games on it... It ran Tomb Raider 2013 @1080p with High details (antialiasing off) with surprising smoothness. So, I was wondering what a laptop with 20% more RAM bandwidth and 30% more GPU power could do.
Because that would mean this laptop, on top of being a beast on battery life and productivity performance, could kick the pants off an entry level so-called "gaming" laptop.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I hate it when Lenovo does this. I remember something similar happened when I was hunting for the right model of Yoga 720 years ago. I could only find a 1050 2GB for sale in the USA despite a 1050 Ti 4GB being available in a single European country. I have to wonder what weird contractual stuff is going on behind the scenes to cause these top-spec Lenovo devices to be so limited in terms of availability.

g-unit1111

Titan
As a new owner of a Ryzen 4800H laptop I can say that this is an absolute beast of a CPU and even puts my desktop 2600 to shame. This is one of the best things to come out of AMD in a while! Too bad it's not available on more laptops because otherwise it would destroy Intel in that market.

Reactions: bigdragon