Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 (10-inch) And Its Bluetooth Keyboard: Better Apart Than Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Please add the actual resolution to the tech specs. It is 1920 x 1200 which is Full HD for 16:10 where as Full HD for 16:9 is 1920x1080.

Did I just resign my self to 16:9 after 16:10 for years to see 16:10 making a comeback.

And 3:2 as well. I would not mind 3:2 for normal computer use. It is not like the internet/applications are optimized for widescreen anyway. Games/ movies are another story I guess(I would still game on a 3:2 screen).

I think the extra grip is very welcomed on that design.

I seriously hope so. I've bit the bullet on a few things the past few years and had to spend a lot more on some displays and devices because I wanted the 16:10 ratio. 3:2 is a nice ratio for tablets, though.

Seth, you may need to update the resolution again. You accidentally added an "n" there.

And I don't understand what you mean with the "punctuation keys" being smaller. The number row, comma, and period key look the exact same size as the letter keys.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Please add the actual resolution to the tech specs. It is 1920 x 1200 which is Full HD for 16:10 where as Full HD for 16:9 is 1920x1080.
Sounds like the resolution is enough for a device much bigger than this one. The only thing that I am unenthused about is that this will probably not get much gaming performance for anything but Modern UI applications.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The only thing that I am unenthused about is that this will probably not get much gaming performance for anything but Modern UI applications.

You're mostly right here. My wife plays Lego Harry Potter on it directly with a decent frame rate. I play Steam games using the in home streaming. It handles the streaming smoothly enough. The hard drive size is the biggest hurdle for heavier games. Overall it was exactly what my wife needed to replace her old bulky laptop. The screen is really the big selling point. It's very sharp and the colors are pretty clean.

Samaratin

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
I recently purchased this tablet for use in school. It was on sale at a big box retailer for $319. In addition to the already included MS office 365 subscription, this retailer also included an additional 1 yr subscription. I had also considered the Asus T-100. Things that stood out on this tablet were the extra long battery life, as well as the build in grip stand with the JBL speakers. Propping it up in class to view power points along with lectures is a pleasant experience. And many other students have wondered just which tablet it was b/c of its unusual stand. The grip is also nice when carrying it around, as I'm not afraid of it slipping (only care tablet, not both at same time, I use case for that) The keyboard is easy enough to type on for the minimal amount i've used it for that. A few points on the keyboard design I would mention, it does have a nice metal trim which classes it up a bit. The on/off switch I don't care for much, it requires a higher amount of effort to switch positions and isn't the easiest thing to do when nails are trimmed. Another design point i'll mention is that the keyboard and tablet both charge by micro usb that are located on opposite sides of each other, which can make charging both cluttered. The tablet only has one included charger, with a very short cable (like 2 1/2 ft cable). I can understand the reviewers comment about picking both up at same time in "laptop" mode. This would not work at all, and you'd end up dropping whichever one you didnt have your hand on, however... I feel that this isn't really an intended scenario, if i wanted to carry around an open and attached device.. i'd grab my laptop...
As for performance, I've only used it for MS Office type stuff, internet, Hearthstone, and the (free and amazing) racing game Asphalt 8 Airborne. All of these perform very well on the Atom processor. While I did not plan to do much, if any, gaming on this device, it is fun to explore its limits. For connecting additional devices, my Samsung OTG micro usb to usb cable works just fine. Logitech gamepad controller worked perfectly.
All in all, i've been very happy with this device at this price ($319).

Samaratin

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

I would have loved to be able to toss down a lot of money on a MS surface, being a nursing student though, makes that difficult. The included keyboard makes this a very compelling value. Higher screen resolution is also a nice factor compared to the Asus T100.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
And I don't understand what you mean with the "punctuation keys" being smaller. The number row, comma, and period key look the exact same size as the letter keys.

I said they *feel* smaller. That weirdly small quotation marks key is seriously tiny, and it throws everything off. It's smaller than the tip of my pinky...really tough to be accurate with it. And because that one key is an odd size, I found that using that whole bank of keys was problematic. Colon/semicolon, comma, period, question mark, brackets. Just a strange feel. I probably could have described that issue better, though.

The 10" Yoga Tablet 2 tops out at 32GB storage compared to the Surface's minimum 64GB. You have step up to the 13" Yoga model at $600 to get that much space. The Surface also has a newer CPU, faster RAM, better wireless, and a full-size USB port. The Surface also works well with the keyboard attached, something the Yoga has troubles with, according to this review.

Gotcha, thanks.

zahraka

Reputable
May 16, 2015
I need some help, when I was typing, suddenly it started to type S without any stop, so I forced to shut down the tablet, one more time i was typing and it started to use backspace, at this time nothing is work and the only way is to shut the tablet down, have any one this problem??

manilak

Reputable
May 27, 2015
Can any one help me with the following:
1. How do you know the charge level of the batteries on the Yoga 2 Tablet detacheable keyboard?
2. When I connect the power cable to the mini USB slot while the tablet is on, it says that the "power cable is connected but not charging". Can't we charge and use at the same time.
3. We some how managed to connect the 1 TB spinning hard disc using a power/data combi cable, it doesn;t seem to work now. I am in India and the Lava OTG power adapter cable is not available here to power up the hard disc when connected to the tablet. Any suggestions. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.