Question Lenovo Z50-75. Keyboard bad. Keyboard or something else?

Advaitom

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
I have a Lenovo Z75-75 running Windows 10 Home. Some of the keys aren't working like the "e" and "o" keys and a few other keys. How can I tell if the problem is with the keyboard hardware or somethings else? Thanks.

Aug 15, 2023
I have a Lenovo Z75-75 running Windows 10 Home. Some of the keys aren't working like the "e" and "o" keys and a few other keys. How can I tell if the problem is with the keyboard hardware or somethings else? Thanks.
Hy first you can try make a bios update to latest version and after that you can install driver for keyboard from official website https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...novo-z-series-laptops/lenovo-z50-75/downloads , and after that just test and see it works or not , is very important if the keyboard have liquid damage or something similar he need to be clean or replaced , you can try with updates and driver and verify if it works.

Reactions: Advaitom

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
In order to test if it is hardware or software (and it seems to be hardware), you can try a different operating system.
For this, try making a live linux USB. I would recommend Linux Mint, but Ubuntu etc. are fine as well. Mind you, a live Linux USB is the same thing as the Linux Installer, so do not get confused by that. Just do not install it, if you do not want to wipe you Windows. (In order to install it, you have to boot into Linux first, then click the "install Mint" (or whatever) program that you will find on the desktop.

If you have never done it, it might seem a bit intimidating. But it is not. Just watch a few youtube tutorials etc and you will find something. Even outside of this particular issue. Having a live Linux USB is very useful.

As to your problem:
If the keyboard works well on Linux, the hardware is OK. If it does not, and is broken in both Windows and Linux, it is likely the hardware, as the operating systems are very distinct.

Cheers.

Reactions: Advaitom

Advaitom

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
Update. I put Ubuntu 22.03 on a USB drive and ran it. The keyboard seemed to work OK in Ubuntu.
Then I went back into Windows and now the keyboard is working OK except for the Num Lock light and the Up arrow key (minor issues).

Is that strange that running Ubuntu can make the keyboard work better in Windows? Any thoughts on this?