Lenovo z580 Freezes when bumped

Gmesh

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Alright so to start off I've had this weird problem with my laptop for about a year now. Every time I give the bottom left side (below the keyboard) a tap, the screen will show green pixelated lines and sometimes make odd noises.

(Image does not flip, dunno why the image upload did that lol)

20mb image hosting
After this happens the laptop is completely unresponsive and has to be shut down by the power button. I'm 99% percent sure this has something to do with that fact that I've been playing games on it for over a year and this is exactly where I lean my palm (sometimes a little TOO hard) when I play. The only solution is to use it with a seperate keyboard and mouse and it hasn't had a freeze up in months. However, I'd like to take it to school now without the risk of losing my homework :(

My laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210M Dual 2.5 / 3.1GHz 6GBRAM 500GB HDD 15.6" W8-64 59350984 Windows 8.1 64bit. I've ran furmark to death, checked it with memtest, checked the HDD pretty much everything I could possibly think of. ANY help is valued and highly appreciated!! Sorry if this is in the wrong section as this is my first post on the forums :)

PhatLloyd

Honorable
Jul 1, 2014
Quick solution don't bump it!

So your cpu or integrated gpu is probably not secure in it's socket. What you could do is to make sure that cpu and gpu is correctly fitted it their sockets and that there is no thermal paste in the socket. You could have it checked out at a shop if you cannot do this. However this is a common problem in laptops and have experienced it myself.

Gmesh

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
So I just tore it open and everything looks extremely secure. Pretty sure it has something to do with the motherboard getting damaged somehow by the pressure I've been putting on the bottom left side. Just don't know what. I'm going to try and see if it happens again but I'm pretty sure that's not what's going on here. The "don't bump it" method is what I've been using for a while but like I said it's just a work-around and not a solution. I'm fine if I can't fix this thing I just want to know what the hell is going on lol. Thanks for the suggestion!

Gmesh

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Well after screwing around with this thing for months i spent the past day doing everything I could possibly think of... Re-seating the cpu (and tearing this down to the motherboard) did nothing. Good news is that SOMEHOW swapping the memory sticks cures the problem! Guessing that maybe one of the sticks got bent (they are right at the same location as the palm rest!!!) and became sensitive to the pressure or one of the slots is damaged. I've tested it about 10 times already and after switching the slots I can beat the hell out of this thing with no prob :) Hope maybe this thread helps someone out there.

Update: Months later Still going strong! I have decided to upgrade the ram and haven't had a problem since! Old ram was fine, just pressure sensitive from all the leaning on the palm area I guess.

Meandmyself

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Posting here incase someone else got this problem aswell.

Had the very same Issue and took me quite a while to find out that pressure on the lower right part caused it. (ran memtesks, exchanged HDD etc..).

The pressure applied to that area is directly transfered to the mainboard, so most likely leaning the palm too hard on it caused some slight damage. After that slight pressure will trigger the crash.

Below the palm area is a small plastic pillar, which delivers the pressure directly onto the mainboard.
I solved this Issue by simply cutting off the plastic pillar, so I no longer directly apply pressure onto the mainboard.(isn't this a design flaw anyways, making the palm area apply pressure directly onto the mainboard?).

Afterwards, I could put my palm there again, the pressure now is directed to the notebook case and no longer causes any crashes.
Would suggest to only use that Solution after warranty ran out :)