News Lenovo's Go Wireless Charging Kit Is Like Qi for Your Laptop

sonichedgehog360

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
This article is highly misleading. Honestly, journalists need to do their due diligence these days and cut it out with the buzzwords. This has NOTHING to do with Tesla's concepts on induction. This is NOT wireless charging and absolutely NOT Qi for your laptop. It is not using induction but classic charging via metal pads. What the pad is actually doing is creating a circuit using a cheap trick. That's why there are metal prongs at the bottom. That's right: it is creating an electric circuit to charge your device. Repeat: It is NOT using air-transmitted electromagnetic induction. See here for yourself if you don't believe me:

islandwalker

Managing Editor
Editor
Mar 6, 2018
The story clearly says it uses pogo pins, multiple times, and shows them. I'm sorry if you feel the headline is misleading, but the point of a headline on some level is to boil down the main point/news in a way that a general audience can understand. And it is clearly like Qi in the sense that there's a pad that you put your laptop on and it charges, without having to plug a cable in.

Perhaps a more accurate headline would have been "Lenovo's Go Wireless Kit Uses Pogo Pins to Charge Your Laptop," but 95% of readers (particularly those coming from Google and not from our homepage) would not know what that means and then not read the story. Clearly the technology is different, but the concept and use case is very similar between this and Qi. You place your device on a pad and it charges. That is why I noted the similarity in the headline. And note that I said it was "like" Qi, not that it "was" Qi.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Yes, i fully agreed with previous comments. This has nothing to with what telsa was trying to create. Its not inductive charging nor wireless power transfer (using radio waves or microwaves). Our phones are real wireless charging using EM induction. This is not.

This is simply using pogo pins to make contact with a metallic pad and the internal circuitry determine which is + and -. Thats all.

The only thing "wireless" is that you do not have a wire going directly from the power adapter to your notebook.