Lenovo's Ideacentre Stick 300 Challenges Intel's Compute Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I don't know why there is a lot emphasis on the gpu specs with these compute sticks, they weren't made to do anything graphic intensive. these compute sticks sole purpose is to have a pc that fits in your pocket on the go and for the avg pc consumer that all they need.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Seems a bit too early to the market in a lot of ways things it could use are.

4GB ram
USB 3.0
Gigabit Ethernet
2GHz quad core
iGPU with 6 EUs

If it had all that you could set up a mean proxy server on it and also be able to browser the internet and even do some limited gaming. Combine it with 1-2 blue tooth controllers and you got a great little MAME arcade machine on the go.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Once somebody makes one with a Cherry Trail Atom processor, 4 gigs of RAM and 2 USB ports at $150 than I'll look into buying one. Until then it's a cool concept but too limited.

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013

4GB ram
USB 3.0
Gigabit Ethernet
2GHz quad core
iGPU with 6 EUs

If it had all that you could set up a mean proxy server on it and also be able to browser the internet and even do some limited gaming. Combine it with 1-2 blue tooth controllers and you got a great little MAME arcade machine on the go.

You do realize that it's fitting into an area not much bigger than an oversized USB stick? Cooling a 2GHz quad core (the CPU in that stick turbo's up to 1.83GHz, and it's a quad) would require a larger cooler, thus reducing room for other components.
I can confirm that the Intel Compute stick runs hot as our business picked one up for testing.
Also, cost is a factor. As soon as you try and miniaturize something that's high performance, costs are going to skyrocket.
For something under $200 that does what these can, it's a good price.

P.S.- These are NOT for gaming of any kind, the bluetooth/WiFi on them are terrible.

G

4GB ram
USB 3.0
Gigabit Ethernet
2GHz quad core
iGPU with 6 EUs

Why? If the current specs are good enough, it's enough. This is a sub 10 watt device. I'm writing this on such a device actually. It's great for basic tasks, including 1080p video. There are even videos showing it playing Crysis on low and other games, but I haven't tried that.

Status
Not open for further replies.