News Lenovo's Legion 7, 7i Laptops Get Analog WASD Keys

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Weird feature, Analog buttons rarely get any implementation or use, starting back with the shoulder buttons on the gamecube. Seems even more worthless on a keyboard, but perhaps I am wrong(old/don't understand current use case). Pretty sure this is going to make the typing experience with those 4 keys crap, Saving grace being who uses the actual laptop keyboard. Likely most will be docked or used as a desktop hooked up to mics/proper keyboard and mouse. Only rarely used on the go.

Weird feature, Analog buttons rarely get any implementation or use, starting back with the shoulder buttons on the gamecube. Seems even more worthless on a keyboard, but perhaps I am wrong(old/don't understand current use case). Pretty sure this is going to make the typing experience with those 4 keys crap, Saving grace being who uses the actual laptop keyboard. Likely most will be docked or used as a desktop hooked up to mics/proper keyboard and mouse. Only rarely used on the go.
Exactly what I was thinking. Like... How many PC games use pressure sensitive controls anyway? Not any that I can think of. The only thing that I can think of that pressure sensitive keys would be good for is a piano VST...or any other virtual instrument. Games... Nope.

Reactions: cyrusfox
Aug 16, 2022
Finally, as a real PC gamer that uses the keyboard heavily (which is the wide majority of course), I love the fact that the W-A-S-D keys finally have force. This is a huge innovation! By the way, I love how the other comments here refer to what has happened in the past or what other people have done = the average folks have no clue for what innovation really is. ;)

I've bought my system and can't wait to get it. I'm wondering when we can get a full hands-on review on this. I'll try to reply here when I get my system!

Aug 16, 2022
Exactly what I was thinking. Like... How many PC games use pressure sensitive controls anyway? Not any that I can think of. The only thing that I can think of that pressure sensitive keys would be good for is a piano VST...or any other virtual instrument. Games... Nope.

Bruh! What ???? I found this online... You all are wrong -- this is SOOOOO needed!

Aug 22, 2022
I've literally tried this on DiRT Rally 2.0. Takes a moment to get your head around it, but I found it way more immersive than I was expecting. Weirdly more immersive than when I played with a controller. Sure, it's not going to beat a full setup with a wheel and pedals, but it seems a bit bizarre to complain about this before even trying it.

Aug 22, 2022
I’ve finally received my unit and did some settings to customize for the games I was playing. Once that’s done, everything is really good to use and immersive. I think you guys are missing the point, It's the combination keys that's the best.
I’ve enabled running and dodging on WASD keys, that was so convenient because you no longer have to hunt for the shift key. Imaging walking when pressing W and start running by pressing W harder, the keys are not hard to control because you can set the force you want to trigger run. Same with A and D for rolling left and right, I think this just made the keyboard competitive for action games. I’ve ditched my controller in favor for the keyboard for all action games so I can now also use my mouse for aiming.

Aug 22, 2022
I’ve finally received my unit and did some settings to customize for the games I was playing. Once that’s done, everything is really good to use and immersive. I think you guys are missing the point, It's the combination keys that's the best.
I’ve enabled running and dodging on WASD keys, that was so convenient because you no longer have to hunt for the shift key. Imaging walking when pressing W and start running by pressing W harder, the keys are not hard to control because you can set the force you want to trigger run. Same with A and D for rolling left and right, I think this just made the keyboard competitive for action games. I’ve ditched my controller in favor for the keyboard for all action games so I can now also use my mouse for aiming.

Can’t wait to try Witcher 3 with this setup. I was always rubbish at dodging attacks. Had a pretty basic approach that sort of worked, but wasn’t great. Multi force levels on the same key should improve things a lot, as you said!

Aug 22, 2022
Call me old school, I like my keys digital, I guess the games I play don't benefit/have a use...
I totally get your perspective and would be interested to hear what you play. How about rather than thinking of it having to be analogue, having the option to have two or three levels on a key (depending on force applied)? Rather than a binary/digital response (off or on) you can get three options (off/low force/high force). Genuinely interested to see if the games you play are similar to the ones I want to explore more with this kind of setup that isn’t just a full analogue response.