Lenovo's Netbook Offers 3G, Dolby

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Master Exon[/nom]Ion?[/citation]
I reckon if they had that, they'd have made much about the feature. The silence probably means no.

[citation][nom]mrfisthand[/nom]People who want an all in one solution should go with a normal laptop instead, that wasn't the concept behind netbooks.[/citation]
I really don't care, though, because the "ultraportables" market used to carry a premium price for gimped hardware. Now the prices are starting to get gimped along with the hardware ;)

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
It sounds like they are starting to move in a direction to capture my attention. I use a 4G Eee PC, and what do I do half the time with it? Pull up Netflix or Hulu in full screen mode - and I use cellular broadband to get internet on the go. (Other half varies, from research papers to general internet browsing to checking emails to a quick simple game.)

Am I going to reject it just because it cost over $300? Will I opt to get a full laptop instead? No. There are other factors that come into play.

Battery life of 6 hours is usually a lot better than any $400 laptop I can find. Size is also an issue. Although you personally may prefer a bulky laptop, I may really have a maximum size and weight requirement - so that means many cheap laptops are out. Then there is the noise factor. Sure, my Eee PC with EEECTL can make quite an annoying high pitched whine with the tiny fan in it, but that is far quieter and less disturbing than my tablet PC's hoover-ish whooshing. (Oh, and with EEECTL, I can push extra power into my screen brightness, allowing me to use a 'wimpy' 4G in FULL daylight!)

Now, for many, choosing a netbook in the $350 to $500 range doesn't make sense, but that does not mean it is an unwise choice. Some people need only analyze on price/performance ratios, but some people have different concerns and priorities that mean they need to consider more expensive alternatives. After all, computers are like any other high cost goods we buy - dish washers, washing machines, cars, houses, and so forth - different people have different needs, so a diversity exists in the market to meet them.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I don't get the 10.2" screen. The whole point of a netbook is ultra-portability. I have a really old 10.5" IBM laptop which is about 2" thick... but even if it was 1/2 inch thick the overall form factor is still large. Next thing... 17" netbook. Ideal size is 7-8". And having 3G makes perfect sense.

bigkumadog

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
No 3g if you are in the US as sure there is a slot behind the battery but no SIM reader behind it. I know as I got duped and bought one for 3G unless you are in Asia you don't get the reader soldered on the MoBo just the slot with a SIM symbol for decoration. Oh yeah you also get a mini-pci socket for a 3g modem that will never work without the reader more dead space.

Status
Not open for further replies.