Lenovo's Strong PC Sales Spearheads Record Market Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Can't complain a family member bought a lenovo and it had about no crapware on it besides mcaffe which was replaced by MSE very quickly. And microsoft office trial (i call it crapware though most won't, I just personally prefer other things) and a bunch of small programs that did various but useful things which took up no resources.

To say the least I was impressed by it, I didn't need to reinstal the OS or really touch anything. I was surprised once again when I popped open the case it had only the bare minmium micro ATX board, etc (no room for upgrades, but who upgrades a prebuilt?) but the case was well built with rounded corners and held things in securely and they even had rubber/silicon gromets on the fan to reduce the fan vibration/noise. Which helped explain why the computer was always whisper quite.

So yes I am happy with Lenovo, the few extra steps they took over the competition are well appreciated from what experience I have with them.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Bought a laptop off them. They usually have some ecoupon sales. My honest opinion is that it's still slightly overpriced but the assembly is durable and reliable. I have yet to have any problem with it (okay just one; if you remove their battery manager, the battery status glitched in my case). I think Lenovo is making big changes and good ones at that :)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Thomas Creel[/nom]Good for Lenovo, all I heard is good things from them anyways.[/citation]

My parents bought one once. They ended up giving it back as the wlan radio was broken (it could only see 5ghz networks despite being 802.11g capable).

They bought a toshiba instead.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Despite the PC market due to experience its first decline
lol it's still "due" and yet every second PC manufacturer is posting profits or breaking even.

i lol @ analysts. I've helped friends build at least 3 PCs, upgrades some parts of my own, built another for dad from some left over parts, and helped 3 people get laptops. Another one shall be built by the end of this year.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Thomas Creel[/nom]Good for Lenovo, all I heard is good things from them anyways.[/citation]
obviously you haven't heard the story of the AIO computers that are catching fire all over the world

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
@ojas - the problem with your anecdote is that you are more or less proving the analyst's assertion. They're looking at PC shipments, you're talking about PC parts building a whole. In other words, PC shipments may very well be down, and part of that might be the fact that people like you are building more PCs. Now, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing (for you or us who build our own PCs) but for HP, Lenovo, and other OEMs who exist on the sale of completed devices, more people building their own hurts them - and isn't reflected in most analyst's forecasts.

My sister had an IBM ThinkPad back in the day. She gave it to me. It was the first laptop I ever owned and how I learned the inner workings of a laptop. It was a marvelous device despite at the time being a few years old. I was even able to start college seven years ago with it (mind you it was over six years old by then). Lenovo, from what I've heard, has done a good job continuing IBM's former PC line. Still looking at them for a future laptop purchase.

G

Levono is going to have to offer faster ethernet, Fast ethernet is not fast any more 100 Mbs, is slow compared to Gigabit ethernet! Levono, many people have NAS drives and Gigabit ethernet has been standard for a while now!

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Some models have issues playing bluray and have very poor quality webcams. Outside of those two issues theres been few issues with the ones I've seen.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]@ojas - the problem with your anecdote is that you are more or less proving the analyst's assertion. They're looking at PC shipments, you're talking about PC parts building a whole. In other words, PC shipments may very well be down, and part of that might be the fact that people like you are building more PCs. Now, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing (for you or us who build our own PCs) but for HP, Lenovo, and other OEMs who exist on the sale of completed devices, more people building their own hurts them - and isn't reflected in most analyst's forecasts. My sister had an IBM ThinkPad back in the day. She gave it to me. It was the first laptop I ever owned and how I learned the inner workings of a laptop. It was a marvelous device despite at the time being a few years old. I was even able to start college seven years ago with it (mind you it was over six years old by then). Lenovo, from what I've heard, has done a good job continuing IBM's former PC line. Still looking at them for a future laptop purchase.[/citation]
Which is why i put in the laptops too :D

But yeah, we have a 8 year old IBM ThinkPad too...still works, though with 1MB/s sequential reads, it's barely usable. :lol:

clist

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
My little bit of anecdotal evidence:
I spoil myself as I've had my own business in tech and have replaced my laptop every 2 years for the past 16 years or so. All this time I've Dells simply because 1. I liked the aesthetic of the their business-class machines, 2) they were always reasonably priced, 3. they were completely configurable, 4. they were very quick to outfit their top-end machine with the latest and greatest tech. Usually at the end of 2 years I was itching to get my new machine.

Last laptop I bought, however, was a Lenovo W510. I got it nearly 3 years ago. I have no desire to replace it any time soon. Admittedly, I did upgrade to a SSD after having it for a year, and that give it a great performance boost, but more important than the performance is the construction and the feel... I'm very sloppy about how I care for my stuff, I don't take good care of things at all. This laptop still feels like the day I got it, and something about the matte finish of the case makes it even look like the day I got it. The cover clicks closed nice and tight, the hinges open slow and smooth, the keyboard feels solid - better than any other keyboard I've used. The screen is IPS and very bright.

My biggest gripe about Lenovo (and it's really a gripe with most of the big laptop makers) is that they've moved to putting numeric keypads on almost every business model. I HATE having my main keyboard being off-center from the laptop screen! I really wish they'd offer different keyboard options in the same way they offer different screen options.

Cheers,
CList

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
If someone gave me the choice between an HP, Dell, Toshiba, Acer, or Lenovo I would choose Lenovo without hesitation. Now Asus or lenovo, that's a good fight there.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Acer laptops are not reliable. Like you, in my mind it's between Asus or Lenovo. Next is HP.

[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]If someone gave me the choice between an HP, Dell, Toshiba, Acer, or Lenovo I would choose Lenovo without hesitation. Now Asus or lenovo, that's a good fight there.[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.