Lenovo's Super Bright Outdoor X200 LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
This will be obsolete when that other screen comes to market, I forget the name of the company, but Toms had an article/video of it a month or two ago. It turned off the color and backlight when outdoors for easy viewing in direct sunlight.

G

I prefer glossy screens! Better contrast ratios, and sharper imaging.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]major7up[/nom]This will be obsolete when that other screen comes to market, I forget the name of the company, but Toms had an article/video of it a month or two ago. It turned off the color and backlight when outdoors for easy viewing in direct sunlight.[/citation]
I know what you're talking about, it is the Pixel Qi technology screen and it's awesome. I've been posting about it on this forum and does not use any power when in direct sunlight because it turns off the backlighting and uses the e-paper mode. Sure, not colors (or at least not good ones), but who cares, if you are outdoors you probably need a good map/gps solution to run or something like that, not high def gaming stuff... That, in my opinion, is the future of outdoors laptop screen, not increasing the nits at the expense of battery time.

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
I think first thing the made is should be true 8 bit / channel or true 24 bit LCD. I don't like to be cheated with interpolate 6 bit / channel or 18 bit LCD.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]NegativeX[/nom]400 nits, while better, is not 100% sunlight readable.Sunlight readable generally only starts til around 500nits and even then, you have to worry about glare, to which you then need a matte screen in place. Preferably, 750-1000nits is what is considered sunlight readable in aviation.400 nits will never cut it in direct sunlight. (I've been developing portable computer systems/displays for general aviation for about 6 years now... 400nits doesn't cut it)[/citation]

Yeah, but aviation equipment is expensive...
Father's old boss spent $15,000 on a pentium 3 and 512MB of DDR to use on his jet, just because it was certified (this was only a year or so ago...).

1000 nit screen and I would no longer need lightbulbs at night. =D

G

Boycott Chinese products! Don't support lenovo's junk and the Chinese gov.

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]I prefer glossy screens! Better contrast ratios, and sharper imaging.[/citation]

What about fingerprints? I know, I know, "don't touch the screen", but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.